Sign in with
Your question
Solved

LGA 2011 Socket

Last response: in Motherboards
December 3, 2011 2:39:35 AM

So this is an observation I've made while digging around looking at hardware, but it appears to me that the 2011 socket for CPU's seems to be the enthusiast's main stream. From the new releases of the sandy bridges 3960K and 3930k their both 2011 sockets. Also all the high end boards I see as well (i.e. ones that support 4-way SLI) are all 2011 sockets. These are also the boards that have the 8 slots for RAM rather than the standard 6 or 4. Any intel of this would be great!

More about : lga 2011 socket

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2011 10:25:36 AM

Actually, after release of the LGA 2011, I think that the LGA 1155 gen 3 mobos are the enthusiasts choice. Yes, you can outdo the LGA 1155, but only marginally and at a poor cost/benefit ratio.

For those whom "money is no object," it is great to have a $15,000 build with the fastest CPU, RAM, and more bandwidth in mobo lanes to achieve bragging rights. However, even serious gamers are usually constrained by budgets of under $3,000.

LGA 2011 is more for server builds and those few who may indulge themselves in conspicuous consumption (bless their hearts, I'd love to do some builds for them). But, your observation about the mainstream is, I believe, wrong given the power of the Sandybridge platform, the coming Ivybridge, and the budget constraints of most builders.
December 3, 2011 1:37:59 PM

Alright thanks, I seen the ridiculous price of all that hardware. And with the recent CPUs being made in 2011 in made me skeptical over if what I read on the ivy bridges being 1155 was true. Thanks for the clarification!
m
l
Related resources
December 3, 2011 1:39:09 PM

Lol I also see now you got an asrock mobo. I'm looking at getting one from them, would you recommend them? I've never really heard of them until earlier this week.
m
l
a c 221 V Motherboard
December 3, 2011 3:38:40 PM

araesk said:
Lol I also see now you got an asrock mobo. I'm looking at getting one from them, would you recommend them? I've never really heard of them until earlier this week.

Asrock was a company spun off by Asus so they could compete in the low end / OEM market. There was a public IPO in 2007 if I recall correctly and Asrock is now owned by Pegatron, Pelican or something corporation. Asrock offers enthusiasts well performing products but provides warranty coverage well below industry standards. They have recently however increased MoBo warranty from 1 year to 2 years.....still a bit short of the 3 or 5 years everyone else offers.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2011 3:41:25 PM

I have nothing but good to say about ASRock. I had ASUS, ABIT, Biostar, MSI & Intel. ASRock is the best bang for the buck, and OC'ing is a dream. But, there are deals to be had if you shop around.
m
l
December 3, 2011 11:32:36 PM

Alright thanks abunch for the replies!
m
l
December 12, 2011 2:53:16 PM

Best answer selected by araesk.
m
l
!