Did my graphics card arrive dead or is it ATI?

tomclarke1991

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
hey over the last few days i have been building my own pc, i am having a problem with the graphics card, even with the drivers installed every time i turn the pc on the windows loading screen comes up and then the monitor disconnects. i can open windows 7 in safe mode and in normal by pressing F8 and selecting the really low resolution, this way i can disable the graphics card and it works normally even with high resolution.
i have tried installing drivers from the internet, backdating and from the CD supplied
each time i have made sure i have uninstalled the current drivers and CCC
im using a HDMI connection but tried other data cable connections
reintalling windows 7 64 bit
and tested my PSU which is working properly
it is plugged in with two pci-e plugs and i have tried taking the card out out and putting it back in several times
its my graphics card isn't it?
this is my set up and its all new.
the card im having problems is is the Sapphire HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Item: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English

Item: Antec CP850 850W Modular PSU - *ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH ANTEC 1200 P183 AND P193 CASES*

Item: Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Item: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Item: Asus P6TD Deluxe X58 Socket 1366 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Item: Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory CL9(9-9-9-24) for i7 motherboards

have not been able to boot the pc with the graphics card enabled with all the current drivers, after windows 7 start

thankyou in advance to anyone that might be able to help

notty22

Distinguished
Yes , faulty gpu's behave like this. Since you can get to safe mode, d/l everest or h/w monitor and see what your 12 v - 5v rails look like if you start prime 95 .
That would be if the psu was faulty, but unlikely.

tomclarke1991

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

i am ashamed to say that i dont seem to have any friends that built a computer and i dont have any compatible graphics cards around

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Lol don't be ashamed haha, i dont have any friends that build/upgrade computers either, they all play xbox/ps3 haha uhh let's see, you could go to a store, buy a graphics card (really cheap one) and test it and take it back lol, i dunno first thing that came into my mind

tomclarke1991

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

its alright im sending the card back to ebuyer where i got it, its still in warranty so it should be alright. hopefully when they test it they will find that it is faulty and replace and not return it to me. otherwise its back to squire one. but thanks for your advice.

OMD - Forever Live And Die 1986

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54WLYP2PDzc

OK lets start running through the check list for common symptoms of a bricked card. First is there any odd noises coming from the card? Is there any heat coming from any part such as hot spots or the lack there of? What code is given in device manager in safe mode if any at all? Do you have a spare card to help test this with? Post back later as info is important.