blackjackedy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
I'm currently buying the pieces for my new build and decided on getting a i5 2400. I'm kinda stuck on what chipset to get though because I've heard totally different things about the H61 compared to the H67. Specifically, all I want to know is does the 61 support gpu OCing (I have a 5850), if it supports ACHI (also whether this matters at all), how the turbo boost differs on the 61 (compared to a p67 and h67) and just any other feature that the 61 might lack that would generally effect performance in games.

Thanks

Solution
differences between h61 and h67 are,
h67 supports up to 4 ram slots. however you might come accross some h61 mobos with 4 slots.
h67 supports more usb 2 ports.
h67 has raid support.
h61 has less sata 2 and no sata 3 support.
h61 has 2 less pcie lanes from itself. (gfx card's pcie lanes are usually supplied by the cpu which are 16 lanes).
h67 mobos usually cost a bit more than the h61 ones.
you have higher chance of finding an atx mobo with h67. however since both chipsets are aimed at media/mainstream market - many micro atx mobos are available.
turbo boost is a cpu-specific feature it will be the same on both chipsets.
the gpu oc'ing is related to the cpu's igp ocing.
make sure the motherboard you're getting has b3 stepping. the b3...
differences between h61 and h67 are,
h67 supports up to 4 ram slots. however you might come accross some h61 mobos with 4 slots.
h67 supports more usb 2 ports.
h67 has raid support.
h61 has less sata 2 and no sata 3 support.
h61 has 2 less pcie lanes from itself. (gfx card's pcie lanes are usually supplied by the cpu which are 16 lanes).
h67 mobos usually cost a bit more than the h61 ones.
you have higher chance of finding an atx mobo with h67. however since both chipsets are aimed at media/mainstream market - many micro atx mobos are available.
turbo boost is a cpu-specific feature it will be the same on both chipsets.
the gpu oc'ing is related to the cpu's igp ocing.
make sure the motherboard you're getting has b3 stepping. the b3 rev. fixes h6x and p6x series sata bug.
h6x chipsets will support ivy bridge but you might miss some of the panther point-specific (z7x and h7x) features like native usb 3 support.

Solution

ivb cpus and chipset haven't come out but please at least verify things you say.
ivb-e is rumored to be compatible with lga 2011 (x79). ivy bridge cpus will be lga 1155 compatible thus h6x and z68 compatible.

pro-gamer

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
really! i think you are joking.
ivy-bridge has 2011 pins while sandy-bridge has 1155 how is that possible
ivy-bridge has new architecture 22nm while sandy-bridge are 32nm
why are manufacturing making boards for ivy-bridge if they work fine on 1155.
ivy will work on z68 chipset but does not on h6x.it's backward compatible so no benefits.

ivy bridge-e, notice the 'e' part - that's for 'enthusiast' or 'extreme' or something mouthful starting ith the letter 'e'. similar to sandy bridge-e. ivb-e will be backwards compatible with x79 (lga 2011 socket - socket with 2011 pins).
regular ivy bridge cpus will fit into lga 1155 sockets and chipsets that support them - z7x and h7x. almost half of the cougar point chipsets support ivb (not ivb-e) - z68, h61, h67 and p67. b6x and q6x chipsets don't support ivb.
the benefits of ivb-specific chipsets are - native usb 3.0 support, better integration, secondary pcie lanes, rumored thunderbolt support and so on.
i don't know why the manufacturers do what they do... may be they're just whimsical... :p