Sign in with
Your question

No signal is reaching my monitor, and I've tried everything I know.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2010 6:01:34 PM

Hello all, got a bit of a problem and I'm out of ideas. Hope this is enough info:

The PC remains powered on, so I don't think the power supply is to blame. Due to the problem occuring before Windows has booted, I'm also fairly sure that the problem is a hardware fault of some kind.

The monitor works fine on my friends PC, and I already swapped out the graphics card for a spare I had lying around. Neither had any effect

Prior to this problem surfacing, the display would periodically cut out, then return. After this had continued for a while, the computer (or maybe just the display) would lock up, and I'd be forced to restart. Now nothing is displayed at all.

For some reason, after removing then reinserting the graphics card, the monitor briefly recieves signal before losing it again after about 30 seconds.

I'm starting to suspect that the motherboard is to blame, but I'm really not sure (I don't have a spare one that's compatible with any of my other components to test the thoery with). If anyone has any insight at all it would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 3, 2010 6:36:00 PM

Does this happen with the spare graphic card also?
If so, then it could be your mobo, as you said, also could be a corrupted driver. A driver clean install might help with that.
If not, then most likely the card itself is going out.
please provide hardware specs.
November 3, 2010 7:04:52 PM

house70 said:
Does this happen with the spare graphic card also?
If so, then it could be your mobo, as you said, also could be a corrupted driver. A driver clean install might help with that.
If not, then most likely the card itself is going out.
please provide hardware specs.

Thanks for replying.

Yes, it does happen with the spare card. Any ideas how to do a clean driver install while the screen won't display anything? I have no clue.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 3, 2010 8:47:43 PM

If the spare card is the same chip (nvidia or ati), try to plug in a card with a different chip (example, if your cards are both nvidia, try to borrow and plug in a Ati card, or the other way around). If the driver was the issue, the different card should be recognized and installed with the generic drivers that came with Win. From there, go online and d/l the latest drivers for your cards. Save and do a clean install, then swap back the graphic cards and see if problem is resolved.
If the mobo is at fault, it will not work, regardless of the type of card inserted (possibly one of the capacitors that supply stabilized power to the video slot - agp or pci-x). In that case, downloading any driver would be useless. Will need a new mobo.
What are the system's specs ?
November 3, 2010 9:18:57 PM

Both cards were from Nvidia, and I'm afraid all but one of my friends are laptop users, and he also has an Nvidia. So short of buying a new one, thats not really an option (money is a little tight).

Specs are:
Core 2 Quad Q8400
4GB DDR2 (2x2)
Asus P5N-D mobo
Geforce GTX460 (also tested with 8800GT)
2 1TB Samsung HDDs
Optiarc DVD drive
550W PSU (I think)

Couldn't remember the exact models of the HDDs and DVD. Hope thats enough detail.
November 7, 2010 7:53:42 PM

Managed to borrow a spare mobo from a guy at work yesterday (the exact same model as luck would have it). It worked flawlessly, so it seems that is indeed the problem. A replacement has now arrived (yay next-day delivery!) and works great. Thank you all for the suggestions, they've been a big help.
!