Feb 28, 2011
CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: nVidia PNY GTX 460
PSU: Corsair GS 600
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
Case: HAF 932
Mem: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 12800
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212 Evo

This is my first full build, I have basic knowledge of builds from swapping CPU's, PSU's, heatsinks, and drives, but have never built a rig from scratch. I plan on being able to OC in the future and a BIOS that is fairly easy to learn to OC , and want a MOBO that is SLI ready for the possibility later.

Any other revisions to this build are also appreciated.

My primary usage will be for gaming. Skyrim, Batman: Arkham City, and similar games are what I am looking to have good performance for.

Thanks for the advice.

spykedjoker

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
The PNY GTX 460 and the Corsair GS600 are part of my current build that I am planning in migrating over just to save a bit, and I have heard that while technically not supported that with a moderate OC I should still be able to SLi the 2 460's with that PSU.

Correct me if I'm wrong about the full setup running on that, because I do have the budget to get a new 560Ti and in the future just upgrade the PSU and add another 560ti for SLi as opposed to doing the 2 460's.

I hadn't really looked to hard at the ASRock's as I wasn't as familiar with them as much as ASUS and Gigabyte, but after looking at the reviews on NewEgg they appear to be far more reliable and stable than the former and on top of that a better value.

Thanks, any further input is appreciated as I still have a few days before finalizing the system.

A faster single card is more advisable than two slower cards. Unless you have a resolution higher than 1080p, you won't need more than the GTX 560ti.

That Asrock board is highly recommended and a good value. I wouldn't say Asus and Gigabyte are less reliable, they are the top two brands so you will generally pay a bit more for those boards.

spykedjoker

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011

I've had an ASUS board for quite sometime and haven't had issues, I was just referring to some of the horror stories on New Egg about the ASUS boards DIMM slot issues and the Gigabyte boot loops whereas the ASRocks reviews didn't seem to show any similar common issues. Then again its just site reviews and I'd prefer to have as few issues as possible with my first build.

I will likely just run with the GTX 460 for now and upgrade to a higher end card in the future, since as has been said the price difference between the cards is fairly minimal and they will only get cheaper (not like they are hard drives).