Sign in with
Your question

Palit GTS 450 1GB - 375W PSU up to the job??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2010 7:34:28 PM

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 420 (Q6600 quad Core, 4GB RAM) and after 2 years of happy gaming the Nvidia 8800GT GPU in it died (serious graphical artifacts on POST, won't boot with the graphics card in).

I'm considering replacing the GPU with a Palit GTS 450 1GB or perhaps a 9800GT but the recommended minimum PSU for both cards is 400W. I was disappointed to find the PSU in the machine is only 375W and I'm concerned this won't be up to the job. The PSU is rated to 18A on the 12 volt rails - will this be sufficient? If not do you have any recommendations for an alternative card as I don't really want to replace the PSU as well as the GPU?

Interestingly I found the recommended minimum PSU for my old 8800GT is also 400W so I think Dell have been slapdash in building the machine with a PSU that doesn't meet nVidia's suggested minimum (25W is 25W!) and I can't prove the the underpower PSU caused the failure. However the machine is 2 years old I'm not holding my breath for Dellto correct their mistake (emails ignored!) and I'm making do with my old 6600GT until I can resolve the problem.

Any help/advice gratefully received.

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 12:33:41 AM

SteveM_1 said:
Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 420 (Q6600 quad Core, 4GB RAM) and after 2 years of happy gaming the Nvidia 8800GT GPU in it died (serious graphical artifacts on POST, won't boot with the graphics card in).

I'm considering replacing the GPU with a Palit GTS 450 1GB or perhaps a 9800GT but the recommended minimum PSU for both cards is 400W. I was disappointed to find the PSU in the machine is only 375W and I'm concerned this won't be up to the job. The PSU is rated to 18A on the 12 volt rails - will this be sufficient? If not do you have any recommendations for an alternative card as I don't really want to replace the PSU as well as the GPU?

Interestingly I found the recommended minimum PSU for my old 8800GT is also 400W so I think Dell have been slapdash in building the machine with a PSU that doesn't meet nVidia's suggested minimum (25W is 25W!) and I can't prove the the underpower PSU caused the failure. However the machine is 2 years old I'm not holding my breath for Dellto correct their mistake (emails ignored!) and I'm making do with my old 6600GT until I can resolve the problem.

Any help/advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Dell know's that video card manufacturers power reccomendations are bloated to make up for the fact that generic power supplies can't provide the amperage needed to power the video cards that they are giving the reccomendations for, there's no mistake on Dell's part.
Check the amperage reccomendations for the cards you listed, it's more important than wattage and the Dell psu exceeds those reccomendations.
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 12:46:10 AM

I would try it.
Or
Get a simple quality psu for 50.00. The connectors are all sleeved.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Then you could move up in gpu power if you wanted, either way you will have more peace of mind.
A gtx 460-768 or
amd 6850 are very good deals for great performance.
So is a 120.00 gts 450
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 1:22:24 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
you would be sweet with a gts450 or ati 5770. Although when you say rated 18A on 12v rails, do you mean it has 2 rails at 18A or 1 rail? here is real world power useage of those cards http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-450-gf1...

2 x 18a rails, 30a combined output.
That's not real world power use of the cards, that's total system power with just the graphics being stressed with Furmark.
You want real world power use of the cards look at reviews from xbitlabs, techpowerup and HT4U.net, they test the cards power draw.
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 1:57:57 AM

Quote:
see if you had the card i would say try it but since you haven't bought it yet, I'm torn right now.
I'm thinking it will work under light to medium load but when trying to game, you'll loose power.
and if you ever upgrade your cpu to a more power hungry model and maybe fill all RAM slots; then you might be in trouble too. add anymore devices really..
but if just watching dvd quality and up flicks and no gaming, i feel you can do it.
i just don't like the 18a on the rail, feeling weak about it..

I'm shocked.
The 8800 GT , 9800 GT and GTS 450 all have similar power consumption, within 2 or 3 watts of each other.
And the 375w has always been dual 18a rails.
November 4, 2010 6:08:32 AM

Thanks for all the well informed advice - really appreciate it.

I play most types of games (Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Starcraft II) so will be thrashing the card. My main concern is damaging the new card through lack of power under stress. I'll do some more investigation into the PSU tonight. I seem to recall seeing that the 450 GTS draws up to 22A but again am not sure if this is the manufacturer overplaying the case.

DellUser1 - I can see that Dell are probably working within acceptable limits but I was disappointed to find they were sailing 'close to the wind' and limiting the upgradability of the machine, especially in XPS which is their premium brand. Shame as otherwise I've been really pleased with the Dell, it's been a great machine.
November 4, 2010 6:30:08 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
you would be sweet with a gts450 or ati 5770. Although when you say rated 18A on 12v rails, do you mean it has 2 rails at 18A or 1 rail? here is real world power useage of those cards http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-450-gf1...

Are the power comsumptions quoted above for the card alone or the total power comsumption of a test system? My PC is fairly stacked - all 4 RAM slots used, a TV Tuner card, 802.11 etc... so I'm not sure what the power draw of the rest of the system is.
a c 173 U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 7:41:48 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-450-gf1... that is the test system. i dont know if it is total system power for those benchmarks, they seem low for total system. But then they are only stressing the gpu, other components would be running close to idle. you could call it fairly safe to say your system, with all components under load, would probably not break 300w with a gts 450. heres another power consumption guide for comparison http://www.techspot.com/review/315-nvidia-palit-geforce... it reports a little bit more than the toms review but includes an overclocked cpu, 3.5 hdd rather than solid state and toms review says "It’s worth noting that we’re still using FurMark to tax each of these cards. Both Nvidia and AMD actually frown on FurMark as a representation of real power use. To that end, we’ve toned down the load FurMark applies here, leaving the Xtreme Burning Mode disabled."
a c 114 U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 2:24:08 PM

I would be willing to bet your old card just died from age(yet i still have an 8800GTX running, this kind of thing happens).

Just some insight here. The 450 is not a power hungry card. No matter what the card makers say, the card can not draw 22 amps @ 12 volts as that would be 264 watts(think of the cooler that would need.). The card is 106 watts(just shy of 9 Amps) peak as per Nvidia.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gts-450-us...

They recommend a larger power supply to take into consideration high end systems as well as the video card. The new card will take about the same power as the old card.

Just for reference, I run a 5770(with I5 750) on a 300 watt psu and even under SC2 the power load is under 160 watts for my media center system. So even with your cpu taking more power then mine, you will have a hard time pushing over 300 watts with most games and cpu intense tasks.
November 4, 2010 7:11:17 PM

Great, thanks guys - I'll suck it and see!

First time posting on Tom's (although been reading the site for years) - really impressed with the response - thanks.

!