Safe temperatures for 9500GT

Zakusho

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Hey. Ok... so I bought this video card
http://www.pcgarage.ro/placi-video/gainward/bliss-9500gt-silentfx-512mb-ddr2-128-bit/ and it seems to perform very well (could not go for GT240 as monkey suggested unfortunately) and still I wanted to see if this high performance comes at a price. The thing i observed is... that the temperature at idle is somewhere are 65C-70C? While in-game (does not seem to matter the game) it gets to 85C at most and from the Fan Control tab it seems that it shows that it got a bit over the green bars (with 1 yellow only at 85C) and I really ain't sure... does it mean it's ok? I also read that this video card manufactured by Gainward seems to manage an max of 105C??? I really wanna know if its really safe as the bars show... cause if not then I guess a fan is needed right? Btw is there any requirements for a fan to actually work on 9500GT? Also if someone has suggestions of a Fan/Cooler please do not include loud ones as I hate disturbances while playing/working.

Idle temp is quite high, though it is passively cooled so thats to be expected. 85C is Ok. I'd start to be concerned if it went past 90C. You could perhaps improve your case airflow by adding more/better case fans and/or improving cable management.

If it were me, I'd cable tie a 80mm fan to the graphics card's heatsink. I wouldn't be alarmed though, 85C is still in safe opperating temp limits and yes 105C is the max.

Zakusho

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
I see. omgitzfatal when you said I'd cable tie a 80mm fan to the graphics card's heatsink which I want to do since who knows what temps I'll get after the winter is gone, what exactly is the term used for that? GPU cooler? Something as these ones here from this page? http://www.pcgarage.ro/coolere-placi-video/

OH! I actually wanted to say that at maximum stress in a game (as many effects on screen and stuff I could toy with to test) the temperature goes at 85C if I play like normal it stays somewhere at 78-81C.

Something like this would do.
615594-a.jpg

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/80mm-silverstone-sst-fn83-black-fan-extend-bearing-design

Zakusho

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Ok. I'd go for that recommendation but I'm not really sure how to find a good website that sells pc components as I've not experimented with too many. Can someone tell me about his list of choices when looking over a product?(the different websites not color size etc)

Depends where you live

US = www.Tigerdirect.com www.newegg.com

Canada = www.newegg.ca

UK =
Scan.co.uk
Ebuyer.co.uk
Dabs.com
Overclock.co.uk
Overclockers.co.uk
Aria.co.uk
Novatach.co.uk

Those are some websites I know of.

When choosing a fan you want to be looking at DB (decibels/loudness) and CFM (cubic feet per minute)

The higher the DB rating the louder the fan will be.
The higher the CFM rating the more air it can push.

So you want a low DB rating and a high CFM rating.

Zakusho

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
I live in Romania (europe). And thanks for explaining CFM I was really wondering what that refers to and yes i want a low db rating and a high cfm rating. Thanks for the help. Anybody else knows of any european serving website?(for pc components)

Oh and ummm what is the difference between RPM and CFM? On pcgarage.ro fans description include rpm and not cfm. Is it same?

Zakusho

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
from what i saw on this 9500GT a 80mm would fit on it perfectly... now all that remains is to find an appropiate one :| btw... do these fans hold up for a few years? or they need to be replaced each year?

Zakusho

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Sorry for the inactivity. I had some problems moving. Anyway thanks both for the info. Ill see what I can find for my taste.

G

I also asked mousemonkey opinion (he has 2 cards in his system he knows better) i finally managed to make my HD5770 overclocked (950Mhz GPU 1350Mhz GDDR5) never to above 73C in full load by opening 2 halls to my box, were the card is, and using 2 Nf-P12 notua Fans:

noctua_nf_p12_1.jpg

For this cuts in the wings you can read about here:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=nine_blade_design&lng=en

They deliver really high pressure, you can feel it if you put your hand in front, I have them plugged directly to the PSU the working in full speed and the noise level is really low. You goanna need 2 120x120 filters because the dust may 'kill' you.

Ps: My idle mode is 37 C to the card with the stock cooler running in 70%

Zakusho

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
that looks big not sure it can fit in my pc (maybe maybe not i would need to make something of 120x120 and put it to see but i think 80x80 only. Still that is a nice fan too bad about having so big filters. Oh and wait... 2 of those filters means 240x240 practically so ye no space.

G

Zakusho

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
well after some time seems py video card never get's over 90C and the temp indicator shows green so It's fine i guess
oh btw i really don't know how come i forgot but i got 2 fans already in my pc that came with and i guess i don't need just because of those 2 which are not that far from my video card