How high do you Overclock your video card?

For everyday use, how high do you overclock your video card?

• I pump it to the max with voltage tweaks and everything.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I go as high as I can, but I do not tweak the voltage.

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • I try to pick a medium overclock for a moderate boost.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I overclock just a little and leave it at that.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I do not overclock.

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
With all the new video cards and reviews out there, I was wondering about real-life overclocking. I understand if we are benchmarking we may go for a higher O.C. to see how high we can get our scores. But what about just everyday, when you are playing games and not trying to set a new personal record?

Do you push your card to its absolute limits?
Do you go as high as possible, but try to stay safe by keeping the stock voltage?
Do you go for a medium overclock, for performance and reliability?
Do you just push it a little (maybe your card is so fast you don't need much of a boost, maybe you are new to overclocking)?
Do you not overclock at all?

Be sure to add a comment, if you wish.

netspiderz

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I underclocked my Videocard. I have a BFC 8800 GTX OC2 which is factory overclocked. Under Windows 7 I randomly get blue screens. This doesn't happen when I use Windows XP. I get the blue screens only when the videocard is set to the factory settings, which is overclocked. Setting the videocard to nVidia original clock speed, thus lowering the speed, the video card is stable and I do not get blue screens.

When I play WoW and raid with 10-25 man groups, I'll rather have something stable than having more power with more crashes.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I don't normally overvolt my graphics card. These things are volatile enough without pushing them over their limits. I normally go as high as i can with catalyst overclocking and leave it at that.

I do increase the voltage by quite a lot on my cpu however.

Hmmm, I should have added an option for "Underclocking".

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
for builds i do for friends i usually help them on a moderate overclock voltages left alone. for my own build i did play with voltage but ultimatly changed it back to stock voltage and a midrange overclock since i knew i couldn't afford a new graphics card

On my older system with an aging video card, I overclocked as far as it would go, just to keep up with the demands of new games. With my new system, there is no need to overclock, so I aim more for lower fan noise and less power consumption. I let my performance needs dictate how much overclock I use. I'm sure eventually, there will be a game that demands that I use a higher overclock.

I should have anticipated that you guys would be a lot more creative and adventuresome with tweaking your video card performance, both underclocking and overclocking. This is an enthusiast audience, for the most part.

Still, the results are getting interesting. We just need more people to vote.