Asus p67 motherboard overheat cpu

gwellnvrmind

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I just received the new revision of the Asus P67 Pro motherboard for my i7 2600k. Until I installed the replacement motherboard my system was running excellent. I installed the new mobo and on the opening boot screen it said my CPU was overheated (about 5 sec into startup). When I got to the bios the tep gauge said 205 deg cel.
Is that even possible in 15 seconds? Why would it go so high so fast when the heatsink fan is spinning like normal?

Build:
i7 2600k
Asus p67 Pro motherboard
16gb patriot gamer 2 RAM
stock heatsink
2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
1 x 64GB Crucial C300 SDD (OS only)

gwellnvrmind

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Ok, I reseated the heatsink and applied a fresh thin coat of AS5. Still booting at 97 C and will not come down from there. I have three fans and a heatsink and they are all blowing normal.

Should I try a different fan even though it is still running correctly?

D

Deleted member 217926

Coretemp is actually the most accurate temp monitor I know of. CPU-Z does not monitor temps.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Do you have a stock cooler or aftermarket?

gwellnvrmind

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I have a stock cooler. But I just came back from the store with an H50. I have not installed it yet. I asked the guys at CompUSA and they said it could be a problem with my motherboard sensor. I let the system run for 3 min, took out the fan and felt it and it was not hot at all. Does this mean that the processor is not 97C?

gwellnvrmind

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Im still on the fence about the bad motherboard because right now the CPU is at 46 C with the fan set to really low speed. I am trying to figure out how to increase the speed. 46 is getting closer to normal right?

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Yes, moving in that direction.
If you want full speed on the fan, disconnect it from the CPU header, plug the case fan into the CPU header, and plug the CPU fan into a PSU rail. It should already have a connection for that or have come with an adapter.

gwellnvrmind

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Yeah which makes me believe there may be a problem with the motherboard. I just readjusted the fan plugs. Put the CPU fan plug into the power fan plug, restarted and now I am back around 35-38 which is where I was before I readjusted to fan plugs. Interesting corelation that I do not understand.