Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 460 MSI HAWK Questions

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2010 12:28:20 AM

I finally got my GTX 460 from newegg, my friend brought me the card from US, I've heard from lot of people that this card idles at 26-31C ... Im on my desktop w/ HD wallpapers though, and the card is idle at 34-37C mostly at 37C
Whats the V-Check cables for? I didn't connect them do i have to connect?
Do i download the drivers from MSI website, NVIDIA or Windows update?
What r those red lights on the card?
When i was playing Dragon ball @ max settings on PCSX2 It was at 58C.
And how do i lower my temp?
I connected the DVI to HDMI cable to my HDTV and i can't hear anything
Whats better MiniHDMI or HDMI or DVI?

I would apreciate ALOT if you guys answer my questions, im really scared idk if my card will burn or something, i just upgraded from a GeForce9400GT that used to run at 88C and 70C idle .. Thanks Tom's community ~

Best solution

a c 398 Î Nvidia
November 4, 2010 1:38:27 AM

the card is idle at 34-37C mostly at 37C
That's a pretty good idle temp, you should be pleased.

They are for hardcore overclockers who want an accurate reading of the voltages. You do not need to connect the V-Check cables.

Definitely get the latest ones from the Nvidia.com website. I believe they are up to version 260.99 WHQL.

The card has several power phases that reduce the power usage for idle/2D use, and increase power for 3D gaming. The red lights show which power phase is currently active. More lights means the card is in a higher power usage state. They are completely just for show to look cool.

Again, a very good load temp while playing games.

It doesn't really seem necessary, but you can look at the overall air circulation in your case to make sure you have good airflow. Second, you could replace the thermal paste between the heatsink and the GPU.

DVI does not carry sound, you need a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable to get sound from your video card.

DVI is every bit as good as HDMI for video, but it does not carry sound signals.
Your card may only come with a mini-HDMI connection, so if you need sound and HDMI you will need a converter cable. If you use DVI, your display will act like a PC monitor. If you use (mini-) HDMI, your display will act like a HDTV. This means you will have different resolutions available depending on the cable, and with HDMI acting like a HDTV, your monitor will not go into Standby mode when you shut off your PC. You will need to physically hit the power button every time.
November 4, 2010 2:16:22 AM

17seconds said:
the card is idle at 34-37C mostly at 37C
That's a pretty good idle temp, you should be pleased.

They are for hardcore overclockers who want an accurate reading of the voltages. You do not need to connect the V-Check cables.

Definitely get the latest ones from the Nvidia.com website. I believe they are up to version 260.99 WHQL.

The card has several power phases that reduce the power usage for idle/2D use, and increase power for 3D gaming. The red lights show which power phase is currently active. More lights means the card is in a higher power usage state. They are completely just for show to look cool.

Again, a very good load temp while playing games.

It doesn't really seem necessary, but you can look at the overall air circulation in your case to make sure you have good airflow. Second, you could replace the thermal paste between the heatsink and the GPU.

DVI does not carry sound, you need a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable to get sound from your video card.

DVI is every bit as good as HDMI for video, but it does not carry sound signals.
Your card may only come with a mini-HDMI connection, so if you need sound and HDMI you will need a converter cable. If you use DVI, your display will act like a PC monitor. If you use (mini-) HDMI, your display will act like a HDTV. This means you will have different resolutions available depending on the cable, and with HDMI acting like a HDTV, your monitor will not go into Standby mode when you shut off your PC. You will need to physically hit the power button every time.

Wow thanks alot for answering all of my questions in 1 post awesome, last question, do you suggest me to use the MiniHDMI? Will it affect the image quallity? and how can i hear music again, im going to buy the cable the next week and when i click the sound options it only displays my HDTV i cant find the Realtek option to active regular audio not DVI, i had my old graphic card connected with DVI cable and an audio cable connected from my TV to my PC, now i cant hear anything :/ 
And my MSI Afterburner that came with the CD isnt working, it says file is corrupted is this normal? Ive heard from other posts that MSI is making a new afterburner but is there any temp fix for this?

Thanks alot thats all i need to know ~
Score
Related resources
a c 398 Î Nvidia
November 4, 2010 3:39:29 AM

Mini-HDMI is just as good as HDMI or DVI for video. For your sound, I'm not too sure, but you either get it through the HDMI cable or a separate audio cable that connects from your Realtek sound to your speakers. If you use DVI, you definitely need a separate sound cable. Don't forget to check your audio properties in the control panel.

Download and install the latest MSI Afterburner from here:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.0.0-Final-dow...
Score
November 4, 2010 5:29:39 AM

17seconds said:
Mini-HDMI is just as good as HDMI or DVI for video. For your sound, I'm not too sure, but you either get it through the HDMI cable or a separate audio cable that connects from your Realtek sound to your speakers. If you use DVI, you definitely need a separate sound cable. Don't forget to check your audio properties in the control panel.

Download and install the latest MSI Afterburner from here:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.0.0-Final-dow...

Okay thanks alot for answering all of my questions (: Ima try this afterburner.
Score
November 4, 2010 5:29:50 AM

Best answer selected by iPunket.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
November 4, 2010 6:12:16 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!