Power question for Radeon 6850

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I've been looking everywhere and i cannot find the power requirements for the Radeon 6850. I was wondering if if anyone knew how many Amps are required on the 12v Rail? I know that the minmum is 450-500 but i need to know about the 12v rail.

Thanks for the Advice, but i cannot upgrade my psu right now that is why i am asking if anyone knew or know where i could find ALL the power supply requirements for the Radeon 6850. Mainly just need to know how many Amps are required for the 12v/rail requarding the 6850

Okay, so thanks to omgwtfbbqkitten,if that site is authentic or not it is telling me this: Radeon HD 6850 - 25A and a 450W PSU minimum.

So can i run the 6850 on my PSU = 34 amps on the 12/v rail at 500watt
Would i be able to run it safely and overclock it?

I just looked at that website again and it was displaying all the power supplys with 1 single 12/v rail.
I believe mine has 2 that add up to 34amps.
I have no idea what the difference would be between having a single rail or 2 if that plays into any factors at all.

I'm reading from the PSU:

Apevia
Model No. WIN-500XSPX
Here is a picture of it if that will help at all.

1102102254-1.jpg

I believe this is the same one I have right here.....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148038

Well, the only qualified reviewer who reviewed an APevia is shown below:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=92

Its not your psu, but its exactly what I was afraid of - that units like this do not deliver their rated power.

Having said that, its possible the unit will deliver clean power (as the 900W did) up to the point where it can't deliver any more power. So its worth a try, and if it can deliver 400W-450W it will work. If it doesn't work you will need a new psu.

The fact that you have two rails shouldn't matter if the unit delivers the rated power.

Sorry I couldn't be more hopeful.

Whats the possiblites of things going wrong? Lets say i get the Radeon 6850,but what would happen if the PSU starts to fail? Will it just shut down? Or will it try to take some things with it? like will it fry the mobo or something liek that. Thankyou for you adivse plz get back to me on that.

ochho87

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Hi purple stank,

I do not have a definite answer as to the risks of an underpowered PSU, but I also am the owner of a no-brand PSU like I told you in the other thread.

My PSU is rated 4/10 on jonnyguru.com and on the review it said it delivers a max of 340W which is enough to power my Phenom II x4 945 (140W) and my Radeon 4850 (150W max), and the rest of the PC which in most cases consume trivial amount of power.

A 6850 consumes less than a 4850, so I am waiting for mine (should arrive today :D)

So in your case, unless your PSU is complete crap, it should deliver more than 300~350W..

Now as for your options, you could:

1) Test the graphic card for stability under load. And if it runs fine for a couple of hours, then I doubt you will ever have problems related to the PSU. If it doesn't, then replace PSU.

2) If you are really skeptical about your PSU, and don't want to risk anything, just replace PSU right off the bat... It will cost you some extra $$ now, but if you get a good enough PSU you can crossfire in the future with another 6850 (You could still get a power supply just good enough for your system..but make sure to get a good one and read reviews on it).

Hope this will help! And let us know if you have more questions.

I just don't even wanna touch the PSU the only thing that my knowledge stretchss to is Graphics cards.I'm starting to understand PSU's but installing one on my own seems really complicated to me.Figuring out which goes where what plugs into what so on.I would think my PSU is somewhat enough to handle the new card because it's built from Cyberpower and from Dell or HP or Gateway...so it's not as mainstream so i would think custom builds would give you more than you need. I have a Phenom x4 965 BE and it came with a liquid cooler inside so i don't think it's gonna be that shitty of a power supply.If anyone has anymore knoeledge on the subject plz feel free to give info on if the PSU i'm running with for sure or not run the 6850. Thankyou

Yeah thanks you've been alot of help.
I'm currently in the same place as you i have simialr specs. Mine is Phenom II x4 965 BE (140W) same wattage as yours.
I'm on an older graphics card though 5570(1g)
Goodluck and tell me how that works out for you if you get it today.

Purp, replacing the psu isn't hard - its all mechanical stuff. Undo four screws, pull out the old, screw in the new, and then disconnect the cables from the old psu one by one, replacing each immediately with the corresponding cable from the new psu.

Plug out, plug in. Wax on, wax off.

Anyhow, the Furmark stress test is a pretty good idea. If it passes that, you should be good to go.

Last thought: If the psu is several years old already, you should consider it has limited life left in any case.

Mainly i don't want to get anything right now but the Graphics card, going to wait until the next build i will do everything custom from scrap this one that i bought was a special on newegg "open box" for 600.Really good processor,liquid cooling,ok graphics card so i'll just try to make it last for as long as possible.
Right now i guess i'll just get the 6850 with my current PSU and go from there,if it starts to give me problems i'll go get a new PSU.What do you think the probability of running the 6850 on my no name PSU?

If it works or if it doesn't for furture build or for now i am thinking about this PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171036

What i have in mind of getting this is for a future build where i could run Crossfire with 2 6850's
But this is only if my Current PSU fails with the 6850.

Fairly good, actually. Just to put some numbers on it to match my feelings . . . 85%-90% chance of success short term (a year). That percentage chance of failure and shorter longevity estimate is simply a guess, but it shows the fear that we have recommending this kind of solution.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.