Is my card going out?

cruzer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Ive tried xp, and windows 7, fresh installs multiple times.
Ive tried to play an older game called soldier of fortune 2, and ive tried starcraft 2.
With windows 7 i kept getting blue screen of death.
with xp they generally freeze or just close. like starcraft 2 just closes and gives me the option to send my problem to blizzard.

Ive tried the latest drivers for box xp and windows 7. i have had this computer for a couple years and ive never had a problem, but now all the sudden i do.

computer:
ASUS M3N-HD HDMI AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor ADX6400CZBOX
Kingston HyperX 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Thermaltake Purepower W0129RU 600 W ATX12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Video Card - 896MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0 x16, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV
seagate 1 TB hard drive (dont know the model, its sata)

im lost at what to do or try. i dont think anything is over heating. i have 4 fans, less than a year old, 2 blowing directly on cpu and gpu. 53 degree Celsius idle temp. fixing to test in game temp

i dont have another video card to try, and im not going to buy one just to find out its fine. so any ideas or other suggestions?

thanks

Your temp seems high. Basic stress tests are probably the best bet to eliminate typical heat and memory issues.

So download Prime95, Furmark, and CPUID Hardware Monitor. Run Prime95 for an hour watching temps with HWM. Stop the test if cpu temp exceeds 75c. Run Furmark, do not let gpu temp exceed 95C. The run both.

If Prime95 crashes, you likely have a memory/settings issue. If you can't keep temps under 75C, you likely have a heat problem. And so on.

And please do use HWM to monitor temps. Download links can be found here:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/30530-latest-overclocking-programs-system-info-benchmarking-stability-tools.html

cruzer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
to see what the temp was under a load? is that not important? if its 100 Celsius i would assume thats important.

anyways, not sure about the program and how it works, but i started it and i got this.

[Thu Nov 04 14:21:26 2010]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Its totally unimportant if it were 65C in the game. That's why we run Prime95, a known, consistent load.

Anyhow, as you can see you have a hardware issue. Normally this is a memory-related issue, and it must be fixed. This is likely the cause of your BSOD.

Have you screwed with anything in BIOS? Do you have any oveclocking programs installed? In any case, you must go back to basics.

- Uninstall any and all programs that can clock the cpu or gpu.
- Clear CMOS*, load defaults, and save.
- Rerun Prime95.

* Pull plug from wall, remove battery from mobo, press the case power on button several times (to discharge psu), wait 5 minutes, put battery back in and plug into wall. Reboot and go straight to BIOS.

cruzer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
the gtx 260 i got is over clocked from the factory, but other than that i havent touched it or the cpu, nor have any programs that can.

bios is untouched.

u say its memory related, do i need to run that mem test?

ram1009

Distinguished
When you suspect hardware problems as you seem to, there's really no option (outside of a lab environment) except to replace suspect items with known good ones. Sorry if your budget doesn't allow this, maybe you can borrow some older items from a friend. Don't forget the PSU. It may be failing or maybe it's being over-stressed. People often run their PSUs far too close to maximums. Recently I noticed some crashes on one of my boxes that seemed to be heat related and simply re-applying thermal compount to the CPU solved it.

You already know you have a memory issue - Prime95 told you that. Running memtest is a waste of time.

The problem could be memory timings, voltage, or a bad stick.

That's why I want you to clear CMOS. If you have a bad or corrupted setting, this will most often cure it.

If clearing CMOS doesn't fix the problem, the next step is to re-run the stress tests using one stick of memory at a time.

cruzer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
prime95 said it was a hardware problem. you said "normally this is memory related" but u didnt say its 100% memory related.

my ram is the newest parts of my system, i figured my gpu or psu would fail before the ram would.

anyhow ill try running with 1 stick of ram till i find out which are good and which are bad.

thanks twoboxer

You need to clear CMOS first. It may be a settings issue, NOT bad memory.

"Normally" means . . . like . . . did you know that all air molecules are in constant motion? And that it is possible that all the air in your room could move to one corner, and you could suffocate?

Normally that doesn't happen.

cruzer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
i cleared cmos last night...

* Pull plug from wall, remove battery from mobo, press the case power on button several times (to discharge psu), wait 5 minutes, put battery back in and plug into wall. Reboot and go straight to BIOS.

cruzer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
so i blew all the dust out of the case while pulling 2 memory sticks. wouldnt run the prime95 test, but i played starcraft 2 for an hour no problem.

so i decided to put both sticks i pulled out back in, and again it wouldnt run prime95 but ive been playing starcraft 2 for 2 hours.

maybe dust was the problem, maybe they needed to be reseated, im not sure. so far so good, hope the problem stays away.

now i wonder if i can run windows 7, i liked it better except all the notifications, are you sure u want to do that? u clicked it and all but i just want to double check. annoying

again thanks for ur help twoboxer

cruzer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
i still cant play the older game called "soldier of fortune 2". it just gives me a "sof2.exe has encountered a problem and must close" xp error.

everything else works flawlessly, i play starcraft 2 for hours. im thinking its something to do with the new drivers not working with the older game maybe? its an open gl game.

however i have 15+ friends who play the game with me, some have nvidia some have ati, not sure what drivers they run, but no one else is having problems.

i dont see how it could be a ram issue with 99% of the computer working perfect, yet the 1 game doesnt work

I said you'd be back. Why?

Because YOU HAVE A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

Your thinking is wrong. YOU HAVE A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

Because THEY DO NOT HAVE A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

As long as you are in denial, I can't help you. If you want to methodically go through it and resolve it, you have to ACCEPT THE FACT YOU HAVE A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

Hard Line

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
+1 to two boxer.... I didn't want to be the first to say it... I agree 100% you have a hardware problem whether it be faulty hardware or mis-configured hardware, it is still a hardware problem and until you fix it, you WILL have random issues. we are more than happy to help you, but we can't help someone who refuses to admit they have a problem... maybe a session with hardware issues anonymous could help? we want to help.. really we do

cruzer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
if i didnt want help, i would not be here. lets get that out of the way first off.

my problem is, why is it this 1 game, this 1 problem, is the 1 and only problem? everything else is fine.

if it was true i have a hardware problem(im not denying it) would it, or would it not cause more than 1 problem?

if u have a bad engine part, it doesnt just affect 1 thing, ur going to have multiple problems.

is that not true? ill go take a stick of ram out till it works, but u cant deny if u have a hardware problem, its going to affect more than 1 program......

First off, it has affected two programs, not one.

Second, we've already answered your question, what you have done so far proves you have a hardware problem.

Finally, yes I do deny whatever it is u said in your last sentence . . . because you have a hardware problem.

Your still in denial, we are not. Good luck solving your problem.

cruzer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
its only affecting 1 program. starcraft 2 is fine, ive played it 8 hours straight no problems...

im not in denial, im asking for an explanation.

how can a hardware problem equal 1 program to mess up?

thats a simple enough question.