Sign in with
Your question

Is my card going out?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2010 5:27:36 AM

Ive tried xp, and windows 7, fresh installs multiple times.
Ive tried to play an older game called soldier of fortune 2, and ive tried starcraft 2.
With windows 7 i kept getting blue screen of death.
with xp they generally freeze or just close. like starcraft 2 just closes and gives me the option to send my problem to blizzard.

Ive tried the latest drivers for box xp and windows 7. i have had this computer for a couple years and ive never had a problem, but now all the sudden i do.

computer:
ASUS M3N-HD HDMI AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor ADX6400CZBOX
Kingston HyperX 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Thermaltake Purepower W0129RU 600 W ATX12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Video Card - 896MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0 x16, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV
seagate 1 TB hard drive (dont know the model, its sata)

im lost at what to do or try. i dont think anything is over heating. i have 4 fans, less than a year old, 2 blowing directly on cpu and gpu. 53 degree Celsius idle temp. fixing to test in game temp

i dont have another video card to try, and im not going to buy one just to find out its fine. so any ideas or other suggestions?

thanks

More about : card

a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 5:43:08 AM

Your temp seems high. Basic stress tests are probably the best bet to eliminate typical heat and memory issues.

So download Prime95, Furmark, and CPUID Hardware Monitor. Run Prime95 for an hour watching temps with HWM. Stop the test if cpu temp exceeds 75c. Run Furmark, do not let gpu temp exceed 95C. The run both.

If Prime95 crashes, you likely have a memory/settings issue. If you can't keep temps under 75C, you likely have a heat problem. And so on.

And please do use HWM to monitor temps. Download links can be found here:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/30530-latest-overc...
m
l
November 4, 2010 5:48:07 AM

76 Celsius under full load. i was using nvidia monitor view for my temps

and it didnt/hasnt crashed yet at 76 C
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 5:54:28 AM

Great! Only 55 minutes to go.
m
l
November 4, 2010 6:05:52 AM

oh blue screen of death while playing starcraft 2.

guess ill download the prime95
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 6:08:18 AM

Why are you playing games when you are supposed to be stress testing?
m
l
November 4, 2010 6:19:10 AM

to see what the temp was under a load? is that not important? if its 100 Celsius i would assume thats important.

anyways, not sure about the program and how it works, but i started it and i got this.

[Thu Nov 04 14:21:26 2010]
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 6:37:30 AM

Its totally unimportant if it were 65C in the game. That's why we run Prime95, a known, consistent load.

Anyhow, as you can see you have a hardware issue. Normally this is a memory-related issue, and it must be fixed. This is likely the cause of your BSOD.

Have you screwed with anything in BIOS? Do you have any oveclocking programs installed? In any case, you must go back to basics.

- Uninstall any and all programs that can clock the cpu or gpu.
- Clear CMOS*, load defaults, and save.
- Rerun Prime95.

* Pull plug from wall, remove battery from mobo, press the case power on button several times (to discharge psu), wait 5 minutes, put battery back in and plug into wall. Reboot and go straight to BIOS.
m
l
November 4, 2010 7:24:53 AM

the gtx 260 i got is over clocked from the factory, but other than that i havent touched it or the cpu, nor have any programs that can.

bios is untouched.

u say its memory related, do i need to run that mem test?
m
l
November 4, 2010 9:20:39 AM

Well it wouldnt hurt and in my experiene faulty memory is one of the most common reasons for blue-screens.

------------------------

Check this game review site http://www.pclord.info
m
l
November 4, 2010 9:24:12 AM

memtest86, ive never ran it, u cant just download and run, or install and run? u gotta make some sort of bootable way for it to run?
m
l
November 4, 2010 5:36:30 PM

When you suspect hardware problems as you seem to, there's really no option (outside of a lab environment) except to replace suspect items with known good ones. Sorry if your budget doesn't allow this, maybe you can borrow some older items from a friend. Don't forget the PSU. It may be failing or maybe it's being over-stressed. People often run their PSUs far too close to maximums. Recently I noticed some crashes on one of my boxes that seemed to be heat related and simply re-applying thermal compount to the CPU solved it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 5:39:42 PM

You already know you have a memory issue - Prime95 told you that. Running memtest is a waste of time.

The problem could be memory timings, voltage, or a bad stick.

That's why I want you to clear CMOS. If you have a bad or corrupted setting, this will most often cure it.

If clearing CMOS doesn't fix the problem, the next step is to re-run the stress tests using one stick of memory at a time.
m
l
November 4, 2010 6:28:38 PM

prime95 said it was a hardware problem. you said "normally this is memory related" but u didnt say its 100% memory related.

my ram is the newest parts of my system, i figured my gpu or psu would fail before the ram would.

anyhow ill try running with 1 stick of ram till i find out which are good and which are bad.

thanks twoboxer
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 6:52:46 PM

You need to clear CMOS first. It may be a settings issue, NOT bad memory.

"Normally" means . . . like . . . did you know that all air molecules are in constant motion? And that it is possible that all the air in your room could move to one corner, and you could suffocate?

Normally that doesn't happen.
m
l
November 4, 2010 7:35:55 PM

i cleared cmos last night...

* Pull plug from wall, remove battery from mobo, press the case power on button several times (to discharge psu), wait 5 minutes, put battery back in and plug into wall. Reboot and go straight to BIOS.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 8:12:11 PM

OK, good.
m
l
November 4, 2010 11:41:51 PM

so i blew all the dust out of the case while pulling 2 memory sticks. wouldnt run the prime95 test, but i played starcraft 2 for an hour no problem.

so i decided to put both sticks i pulled out back in, and again it wouldnt run prime95 but ive been playing starcraft 2 for 2 hours.

maybe dust was the problem, maybe they needed to be reseated, im not sure. so far so good, hope the problem stays away.

now i wonder if i can run windows 7, i liked it better except all the notifications, are you sure u want to do that? u clicked it and all but i just want to double check. annoying

again thanks for ur help twoboxer
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2010 4:57:52 AM

See you later :) 
m
l
November 13, 2010 11:05:43 AM

i still cant play the older game called "soldier of fortune 2". it just gives me a "sof2.exe has encountered a problem and must close" xp error.

everything else works flawlessly, i play starcraft 2 for hours. im thinking its something to do with the new drivers not working with the older game maybe? its an open gl game.

however i have 15+ friends who play the game with me, some have nvidia some have ati, not sure what drivers they run, but no one else is having problems.

i dont see how it could be a ram issue with 99% of the computer working perfect, yet the 1 game doesnt work
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2010 5:13:14 PM

Twoboxer said:
See you later :) 
I said you'd be back. Why?

Because YOU HAVE A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

cruzer said:
i still cant play the older game called "soldier of fortune 2". it just gives me a "sof2.exe has encountered a problem and must close" xp error.

everything else works flawlessly, i play starcraft 2 for hours. im thinking its something to do with the new drivers not working with the older game maybe? its an open gl game.
Your thinking is wrong. YOU HAVE A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

cruzer said:
however i have 15+ friends who play the game with me, some have nvidia some have ati, not sure what drivers they run, but no one else is having problems.
Because THEY DO NOT HAVE A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

cruzer said:
i dont see how it could be a ram issue with 99% of the computer working perfect, yet the 1 game doesnt work
As long as you are in denial, I can't help you. If you want to methodically go through it and resolve it, you have to ACCEPT THE FACT YOU HAVE A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

m
l
November 13, 2010 6:11:30 PM

+1 to two boxer.... I didn't want to be the first to say it... I agree 100% you have a hardware problem whether it be faulty hardware or mis-configured hardware, it is still a hardware problem and until you fix it, you WILL have random issues. we are more than happy to help you, but we can't help someone who refuses to admit they have a problem... maybe a session with hardware issues anonymous could help? we want to help.. really we do
m
l
November 14, 2010 12:45:14 AM

if i didnt want help, i would not be here. lets get that out of the way first off.

my problem is, why is it this 1 game, this 1 problem, is the 1 and only problem? everything else is fine.

if it was true i have a hardware problem(im not denying it) would it, or would it not cause more than 1 problem?

if u have a bad engine part, it doesnt just affect 1 thing, ur going to have multiple problems.

is that not true? ill go take a stick of ram out till it works, but u cant deny if u have a hardware problem, its going to affect more than 1 program......
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 14, 2010 3:25:32 AM

First off, it has affected two programs, not one.

Second, we've already answered your question, what you have done so far proves you have a hardware problem.

Finally, yes I do deny whatever it is u said in your last sentence . . . because you have a hardware problem.

Your still in denial, we are not. Good luck solving your problem.
m
l
November 14, 2010 2:09:26 PM

its only affecting 1 program. starcraft 2 is fine, ive played it 8 hours straight no problems...

im not in denial, im asking for an explanation.

how can a hardware problem equal 1 program to mess up?

thats a simple enough question.
m
l
November 14, 2010 3:05:32 PM

the fact that prime 95 does not finish without errors guarantees instability most likely caused by memory.. ppl who overclock use it just to make sure the system is stable. if you don't pass prime, you have an unstable machine end of story and you have already verified that. dif programs react differently to instability.. some may appear to work fine and others won't. download and run memtest 86+ for at least 2 hours. if it comes up with errors, you have most likely bad ram.. if you decide not to go through the steps we have outlined, then we cannot help you. good luck at this point you are looking at possible bad ram, PSU or mainboard however I would lean toward ram first then psu then mainbaord
m
l
November 14, 2010 3:09:52 PM

i removed all my ram but 1 stick and it still wouldnt run prime95. ive said that way long ago. i was never told what to do after that
m
l
November 14, 2010 3:27:31 PM

I believe noone told you what to do after that because you wenrt and said your game works and no longer need our help... anyhow, I suggest you run memtest 86+ on each stick of ram 1 at a time for at least 2 hours each.. and let us know your findings. i am looking to see if it claims all sticks are bad or if the problem lies somewhere else
m
l
November 14, 2010 8:55:50 PM

i took out 2 of the 3 sticks of ram, still wouldnt run the game. reinstalled the game. still didnt play the game.

if its my ram, i can just buy new and stop wasting my time and not wait 2+ hours per stick of ram testing it just to confirm hey its bad...

how many gigs of ram can windows 7 use?
m
l
November 15, 2010 12:44:13 AM

I guess my point is to test the ram.. because what happens if it is the main board or psu would you rather waste your money? if so feel free we won't stop you
m
l
November 15, 2010 12:49:57 AM

i tried to run the memtest, i downloaded the usb drive version, it formated my drive to be bootable, i changed it in bios to run it first, it just bypassed it and went to operating system.

does that mean its fine?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2010 1:11:55 AM

cruzer said:
its only affecting 1 program. starcraft 2 is fine, ive played it 8 hours straight no problems...

im not in denial, im asking for an explanation.

how can a hardware problem equal 1 program to mess up?

thats a simple enough question.
The second program that crashed was Prime95 - that fact seems irrelevant to you. You have gotten that explanation over and over.

I hope others can help you, because like I said, I'm done. I do not think it will be posisble to conduct a remote diagnostic session with you as our eyes and hands.

So, good luck.

m
l
November 15, 2010 1:12:35 AM

no. that does not mean it's fine.. it means for whatever reason you can't boot off of a flash drive. ( i have had that happen before and it is usually the drive is not capable) I recommend burning the iso to cd and booting to it that way and then run it
m
l
November 15, 2010 2:26:42 AM

Twoboxer said:
The second program that crashed was Prime95 - that fact seems irrelevant to you. You have gotten that explanation over and over.

I hope others can help you, because like I said, I'm done. I do not think it will be posisble to conduct a remote diagnostic session with you as our eyes and hands.

So, good luck.

ive done everything u said, u said run prime95, i tried, it didnt work. u said take out the ram try them 1 by 1 and running the test. i tried all 3 at different times all failed to run pime95.

Thats all u suggested me to do so far, ive done everything u have said.

if u tell me that means my ram is bad, ill buy new. if u have another suggestion to test my psu, or motherboard, ill try it. but the fact is, u havent told me the next step...

get off your high horse, im not here to waste your or anyone elses time, especially mine. i want my computer to work perfectly fine. ive done what u said, i cant get memtest to run. u havent suggested anything further, so i have nothing further to try. blame me all u want, but u havent said anything to do next...
m
l
!