VPA: planetconnections with gravwells?

Hello,

I just wonder how to tell VPA to use 84LY as the planethopping distance
and not 81LY. Does anybody know?

Best regards,
Ingo aka planetmaker

"Ingo von Borstel" <newsgroups@planetmaker.de> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I just wonder how to tell VPA to use 84LY as the planethopping distance
> and not 81LY. Does anybody know?

Why? 81 Light years is the farthest any ship can travel that does not have a
gravatonic accelerator(mcbr, br4,br5).

--

Regards,
Merlyn

Op 2005-01-09, Merlyn schreef
<Merlyn@spammersremovethistobeblocked.thelastdomain.com>:
> "Ingo von Borstel" <newsgroups@planetmaker.de> wrote in message
>> I just wonder how to tell VPA to use 84LY as the planethopping distance
>> and not 81LY. Does anybody know?

Try a more recent VPA. :) This is from the WHATSNEW file in version
3.62b:

! Connection lines between planets (shift-l, ctrl-l) are now calculated more
precisely. Warp-wells are taken into acount automatically. If the distance
specified is less than 10 it will be interpreted as warp speed instead of
lightyears. If it is given as warp speed VPA will determine the distance
using movement simulation for borderline cases.

> Why? 81 Light years is the farthest any ship can travel that does not have a
> gravatonic accelerator(mcbr, br4,br5).

You can reach a planet 84 lightyears away through ending up in the
gravity well.

"The question of whether computers can think is like the question of
whether submarines can swim." - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Maurits van Rees" <news.maurits@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Op 2005-01-09, Merlyn schreef
> <Merlyn@spammersremovethistobeblocked.thelastdomain.com>:
>> "Ingo von Borstel" <newsgroups@planetmaker.de> wrote in message
>>> I just wonder how to tell VPA to use 84LY as the planethopping distance
>>> and not 81LY. Does anybody know?
>
> Try a more recent VPA. :) This is from the WHATSNEW file in version
> 3.62b:
>
> ! Connection lines between planets (shift-l, ctrl-l) are now calculated
> more
> precisely. Warp-wells are taken into acount automatically. If the
> distance
> specified is less than 10 it will be interpreted as warp speed instead of
> lightyears. If it is given as warp speed VPA will determine the distance
> using movement simulation for borderline cases.
>
>> Why? 81 Light years is the farthest any ship can travel that does not
>> have a
>> gravatonic accelerator(mcbr, br4,br5).
>
> You can reach a planet 84 lightyears away through ending up in the
> gravity well.

How are you going to get a ship without a gravitonic accelorator to go more
than 81 ly in one trn???

--

Regards,
Merlyn

Merlyn at thelastdomain.com

Ingo von Borstel, 09 Jan. 05, 19:17:

> I just wonder how to tell VPA to use 84LY as the planethopping distance
> and not 81LY. Does anybody know?
Try STRG-L and type in the LY´s.

Greetings
Hütti
--
09.01.2005 22:08:47

Moin,

> Try a more recent VPA. :) This is from the WHATSNEW file in version
> 3.62b:

Ah, thanks. Even though that's the version I use, I only looked up the
FAQ but not that file.

Cheers,
Ingo

Hi,

> How are you going to get a ship without a gravitonic accelorator to go more
> than 81 ly in one trn???

Use the gravity wells. Set the waypoint to the edge of the gravity well,
that is 3LY from the destination planet. Then your ship will (at speed >
1) be pulled in by the gravity well. The total distance travelled thus
can be 81+3=84 ly.

Regards,
Ingo

> Hi,
>>
>> How are you going to get a ship without a gravitonic accelorator to go
>> more than 81 ly in one trn???
>
> Use the gravity wells. Set the waypoint to the edge of the gravity well,
> that is 3LY from the destination planet. Then your ship will (at speed >
> 1) be pulled in by the gravity well. The total distance travelled thus can
> be 81+3=84 ly.
>
> Regards,
> Ingo

Gotchya!