Boot Error, can't install W7, problem communicating with a device?

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Alright guys, finally got a monitor, really excited to build this computer, but Im running into a problem. I am trying to install Windows 7, 64-bit, my CPU is an i5-750 so it is a 64-bit CPU, seems like everythings being recognized as far as I can tell, computer runs with no weird sounds or anything, fans workin great.

So I hit the power button, let the computer boot, tries booting from CD/DVD, says Windows is loading with the bar for about 5-10 seconds, then a black error screen saying it's having a problem communicate with one of the devices, I am almost 100% sure it's the hard drive since the CD drive obviously sees it's Windows

The error code is 0xc00000e9, and for info it says An unexpected I/O error has occurred

I have a Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 and a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

I have the power and data cable connected to both my optical and my hard drive

From what I understand, it doesn't matter which SATA port you use, I have 6 blue and 2 white, I have 3 plugged into the blue, one for cases eSATA, one for optical and one for HDD

When I go into BIOS, I see that it recognizes my 4096 (4GB) of RAM, it's running at 1333 MHz like it's supposed to.

When I go into "Standard CMOS Features", I see IDE Channel 0 Master, 0 Slave and the same all the way down to 3.

For Channel 0 Master, I see my DVD drive, and 0 Slave I see my Hard Drive

When I go to "Advanced BIOS Features", my 1st boot device is CDROM, 2nd is HDD

Under "Integrated Peripherals", PCH SATA Control Mode and Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode are both IDE

There are 3 options for those 2 settings:

PCH has IDE, RAID(XHD) and AHCI, Onboard has IDE, AHCI, RAID/IDE

So those are the settings it's on, I hope you guys can help me out, I really need help

Update: When I switch PCH Controller and Onboard SATA/IDE Controller both to AHCI (they're on IDE default), my IDE 0 Slave, Master through 5 Slave and Master go only down to 3, so 4 slave/master and 5 slave/master DISAPPEAR, AND my HDD and CD Drive are NO LONGER recognized.

My friend made the same rig without any changes so I believe changing the controller mode to AHCI will NOT help

Update 2: I have given my friend my Hard Drive and Windows 7 CD, he'll be testing it today to rule out those 2 options. I will most likely be returning my mobo tomorrow assuming both my hard drive and CD work.

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Update: When I switch PCH Controller and Onboard SATA/IDE Controller both to AHCI (they're on IDE default), my IDE 0 Slave, Master through 5 Slave and Master go only down to 3, so 4 slave/master and 5 slave/master DISAPPEAR, AND my HDD and CD Drive are NO LONGER recognized.

My friend made the same rig without any changes so I believe changing the controller mode to AHCI will NOT help

I really need help guys

banthracis

Distinguished
No USB devices plugged into PC right? Outside input.

IE no USB keys, MP3 players, etc.

Also, did you burn the Windows disk yourself? Can you boot off that disk on another PC?

that error code is usually associated with either a non bootable disk or device being attached to the PC.

You can also go into BIOS and flat out disable USD devices.

Also, the F3 is a new blank HD right?

If all this fails, it's a hardware issue, then you'll simply have to start swapping parts. Either plug parts into a known working PC, or use known working parts on your new PC.

So HD, Optical and Mobo would probably have to be swapped. Do mobo last since it's the most annoying.

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Im almost sure its the MOBO or HDD, I bought these parts a few weeks or so back because we got deals on em, a mistake buying them at seperate time intervals I know that now, but I was curious would it be smart to return both HDD and MOBO and get replacements? I dont wanna wait all that time for each part so I think I should return both and get replacements, is this wise?

Thank you for your help honestly, MOBO will indeed be a pain but I just need this to work

I can give my HDD to my friend tom and have him try to see if it works then he can cancel it so we can see if it works, this'll almost for sure rule it out. Good idea? Im doing this to rule out both my CD and HDD, if they both work its MOBO Im guessin

I tried booting with 1 RAM stick in DDR_1 slot and tried with each stick, no cigar, I bet its mobo or HDD

reaper2794

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Update 2: I have given my friend my Hard Drive and Windows 7 CD, he'll be testing it today to rule out those 2 options. I will most likely be returning my mobo tomorrow assuming both my hard drive and CD work.

Pkw

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hello Reaper 2794
I have the same basic problem. with an
Asus P7P55D-EP-PRO MBoard.

The final thing I tried that failed was attaching a new
WD 500 gb HDD the I/O error 0xc00000e9 persists.
I tried switching to AHCI by making a corrective entry
in the registry the making the change in BIOS
No change be it that or IDE mode

In My case, which makes this even more puzzling,
My current install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit works fine
BUT - I cannot boot from the Windows 7 Pro DVD
"OR" my newly purchased copy of Windows 8 Pro 64 bit upgrade DVD.

My attempt to do the upgrade is what made me aware
of the problem. I've been able to rule out the HDD SSD
DVD Burner and cables as the cause.

Now, as it stands, If I want or need to do a re install of Windows 7
Pro 64 bit I cannot.

If I come upon a solution I will let you know SAP
I share in your frustration

Cheers,
Paul aka Pkw