USB to parallel? ? ?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
February 22, 2005 3:01:30 PM

I'm uneasy about getting a new laptop because most no longer have a parallel
port.

I know that I can get a USB-to-parallel cable, but I want to be sure it will
support my old HP LaserJet 6L printer.

Would I need any software, or just plug it in? I think I might need to reset
some of the printer properties regarding "bi-directional" printing --
whatever that means.

Any guidance appreciated.

More about : usb parallel

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 22, 2005 3:01:31 PM

Ray, when I suggested an ethernet hookup, I specifically mention an
ethernet print server made by HP specifically for the laserjet, no
third party stuff. I am one of them IT guys, and I sympathize that
tweakings, many times is needed for "those other" adapters.

With an HP print server which plugs directly into the printer
expansion port will INSTANTLY give you all the capabilities of the
laserjet with zero tweaking.

I disagree that you feel ethernet is a SYSTEM. U can make it
complicated of course, but ethernet is been around long enough that
configuring one is, really, easy. And in this case u don't care about
server, hub, nothing. It's a single cable, laptop to printer, that's
is, can't be easier than that.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 22, 2005 4:05:48 PM

On 22 Feb 2005 in comp.sys.laptops, Ray wrote:

> I'm uneasy about getting a new laptop because most no longer have a
> parallel port.
>
> I know that I can get a USB-to-parallel cable, but I want to be sure
> it will support my old HP LaserJet 6L printer.

Odds are that the laptop has an ethernet port - instead of USB to
parallel, why not use ethernet-to-parallel? Pick up a networked Print
Server:

http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=34&scid=...
http://dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=10&sec=0

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Thanks Joe -- I had thought of that. And in fact that's my own arrangement.
But I'm helping set up this new laptop for an older lady who has no need
whatever for wireless.

The reason for my uneasiness is that I helped another friend set up a new
laptop not long ago and we had a hell of a time getting the old printer to
work with one of those "miniport repliators."

"Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 22 Feb 2005 in comp.sys.laptops, Ray wrote:
>
>> I'm uneasy about getting a new laptop because most no longer have a
>> parallel port.
>>
>> I know that I can get a USB-to-parallel cable, but I want to be sure
>> it will support my old HP LaserJet 6L printer.
>
> Odds are that the laptop has an ethernet port - instead of USB to
> parallel, why not use ethernet-to-parallel? Pick up a networked Print
> Server:
>
> http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=34&scid=...
> http://dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=10&sec=0
>
> --
> Joe Makowiec
> http://makowiec.org/
> Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe
February 22, 2005 11:35:56 PM

Ray <rayj.balt@verizondelethis.net> wrote:
: Thanks Joe -- I had thought of that. And in fact that's my own arrangement.
: But I'm helping set up this new laptop for an older lady who has no need
: whatever for wireless.

Then don't use wireless - use Ethernet to network it with a cable.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
February 23, 2005 3:13:37 AM

Thanks Bobb -- I somehow got the impression that ethernet was synonymous
with wireless. I'll explore that option.

But I don't follow you when you speak of "a single cable, laptop to
printer". What port on the laptop does this cable plug into?

-- Ray
"bobb" <None@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
news:o q0n11lub2d6q1vvkgl9tv2fgv5i06fk27@4ax.com...
> Ray, when I suggested an ethernet hookup, I specifically mention an
> ethernet print server made by HP specifically for the laserjet, no
> third party stuff. I am one of them IT guys, and I sympathize that
> tweakings, many times is needed for "those other" adapters.
>
> With an HP print server which plugs directly into the printer
> expansion port will INSTANTLY give you all the capabilities of the
> laserjet with zero tweaking.
>
> I disagree that you feel ethernet is a SYSTEM. U can make it
> complicated of course, but ethernet is been around long enough that
> configuring one is, really, easy. And in this case u don't care about
> server, hub, nothing. It's a single cable, laptop to printer, that's
> is, can't be easier than that.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 23, 2005 3:13:38 AM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:13:37 GMT, "Ray"
<rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote:

>Thanks Bobb -- I somehow got the impression that ethernet was synonymous
>with wireless. I'll explore that option.
>
>But I don't follow you when you speak of "a single cable, laptop to
>printer". What port on the laptop does this cable plug into?

All modern laptop comes with an ethernet port, this looks like a fat
phone jack. Some laptops come with the jack but make you pay extra to
enable it which I personally think is bulls**t but that's another
subject.

The back of the laserjet manual, under Optional Accessories, it should
tell you the exact model of HP print server to get. The print server
itself is a small circuit board which plugs right into the printer,
and when covered, there is nothing hanging out but just another fat
phone jack.

After this, all u need is crossover network cable, or otherwise known
as a crossover CAT5 available everywhere.

The print server will come with all precise step-by-steps instructions
on how to set things up.
February 23, 2005 3:49:26 AM

Ray <rayj.balt@verizondelethis.net> wrote:
: Thanks Bobb -- I somehow got the impression that ethernet was synonymous
: with wireless. I'll explore that option.

: But I don't follow you when you speak of "a single cable, laptop to
: printer". What port on the laptop does this cable plug into?

You're making an ethernet network, with the laptop connected to
network and the printer (via the print server) connected to the
network.

A print server is a little box you put on your ethernet network that
allows any computer on the network to print to it. Your printer
connects to it with the parallel cable, but be sure to get a print
server that has a parallel printer port (cheap ones are USB only).
Another cable, a Cat5 Ethernet cable, connects the print server to
the network. Another Cat5 cable connects your laptop to the network.
Any modern laptop will have an ethernet port.

Most ethernet networks have a router/switch, a separate piece of
hardware you buy. A typical cheapie router/switch has four ports
for four Ethernet devices (in your case, the laptop takes one port,
the print server takes one port).

A cheap network that might work in this case to avoid the router might
be to get a crossover cable (a special kind of ethernet cable with
some wires swapped from one end to the other). That might save you a
small amount of money. However, if this person will be using DSL or
broadband internet, you'll most likely want to get a router and put
the DSL on it and connect the printer to one port and the laptop to
another port on the router. Routers have built-in hardware firewalls
that offer some basic security.

Is this clearer?

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

BTW, some laserjets have a built-in IR port, but the printer will have
to be within arm-length of the laptop.
February 23, 2005 4:01:58 AM

Yes, Andrew -- that clears it up. We will have to get a router, since she
uses DSL. So router, print server, cables, etc., will be a little costly, I
guess, but probably unavoidable.

Thanks again.

"Andrew" <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote in message
> Ray <rayj.balt@verizondelethis.net> wrote:
> : Thanks Bobb -- I somehow got the impression that ethernet was synonymous
> : with wireless. I'll explore that option.
>
> : But I don't follow you when you speak of "a single cable, laptop to
> : printer". What port on the laptop does this cable plug into?
>
> You're making an ethernet network, with the laptop connected to
> network and the printer (via the print server) connected to the
> network.
>
> A print server is a little box you put on your ethernet network that
> allows any computer on the network to print to it. Your printer
> connects to it with the parallel cable, but be sure to get a print
> server that has a parallel printer port (cheap ones are USB only).
> Another cable, a Cat5 Ethernet cable, connects the print server to
> the network. Another Cat5 cable connects your laptop to the network.
> Any modern laptop will have an ethernet port.
>
> Most ethernet networks have a router/switch, a separate piece of
> hardware you buy. A typical cheapie router/switch has four ports
> for four Ethernet devices (in your case, the laptop takes one port,
> the print server takes one port).
>
> A cheap network that might work in this case to avoid the router might
> be to get a crossover cable (a special kind of ethernet cable with
> some wires swapped from one end to the other). That might save you a
> small amount of money. However, if this person will be using DSL or
> broadband internet, you'll most likely want to get a router and put
> the DSL on it and connect the printer to one port and the laptop to
> another port on the router. Routers have built-in hardware firewalls
> that offer some basic security.
>
> Is this clearer?
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address

a b D Laptop
February 23, 2005 4:01:59 AM

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 01:01:58 GMT, "Ray"
<rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote:

>Yes, Andrew -- that clears it up. We will have to get a router, since she
>uses DSL. So router, print server, cables, etc., will be a little costly, I
>guess, but probably unavoidable.
>
>Thanks again.

Well, u failed to mention she has DSL, which can makes thing easier or
complicate matters.

If you are doing ethernet, then you ALREADY got a network, and you
simply get a router with a built-in parallel printer port, which is
kinda hard to come by these days since most modern printers are USB.
BUT THIS IS EXACTLY what I have currently. I have a Linksys BEFW11P1
which is a Wireless Router w/print server all in one box, u should
fine one cheap in eBay since this is an older product.

My laptop doesn't have a parallel port either but I print: Laptop ->
wireless network -> router -> printer. See, no wires, no parallel
port needed.

Now this printer port works for my Epson. I cannot quarantee it will
work pefectly with the laserjet. I know, I worked with tons of
laserjets, and to make them work perfectly, I would prefer the HP
print server as mentioned.
February 23, 2005 4:04:25 AM

Thanks again Bobb -- I think I have a clear picture now.

"bobb" <None@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
news:o jkn11tbh0lrjermvoj419r31muoq3t1bg@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:13:37 GMT, "Ray"
> <rayj.balt@verizonDELETHIS.net> wrote:
>
>>Thanks Bobb -- I somehow got the impression that ethernet was synonymous
>>with wireless. I'll explore that option.
>>
>>But I don't follow you when you speak of "a single cable, laptop to
>>printer". What port on the laptop does this cable plug into?
>

> All modern laptop comes with an ethernet port, this looks like a fat
> phone jack. Some laptops come with the jack but make you pay extra to
> enable it which I personally think is bulls**t but that's another
> subject.
>
> The back of the laserjet manual, under Optional Accessories, it should
> tell you the exact model of HP print server to get. The print server
> itself is a small circuit board which plugs right into the printer,
> and when covered, there is nothing hanging out but just another fat
> phone jack.
>
> After this, all u need is crossover network cable, or otherwise known
> as a crossover CAT5 available everywhere.
>
> The print server will come with all precise step-by-steps instructions
> on how to set things up.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 23, 2005 5:43:28 AM

On 22 Feb 2005 in comp.sys.laptops, Ray wrote:

> Yes, Andrew -- that clears it up. We will have to get a router,
> since she uses DSL. So router, print server, cables, etc., will be a
> little costly, I guess, but probably unavoidable.

Actually, some of the Router/Switches have a parallel port built into
them:

http://dlink.com/products/?sec=3&pid=63 <= US$60 at Amazon

Ethernet cables shouldn't be over $8/each; total shouldn't be over $100.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 23, 2005 7:47:33 PM

You don't need wireless. CompUSA has the D-Link wired Ethernet to
parallel print server on sale this week ($29, I think). I also think
that your concerns about USB to parallel are probably unfounded, but you
won't know for sure until you try it. The adapter should come with the
necessary software.

Ray wrote:

> Thanks Joe -- I had thought of that. And in fact that's my own arrangement.
> But I'm helping set up this new laptop for an older lady who has no need
> whatever for wireless.
>
> The reason for my uneasiness is that I helped another friend set up a new
> laptop not long ago and we had a hell of a time getting the old printer to
> work with one of those "miniport repliators."
>

> "Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>On 22 Feb 2005 in comp.sys.laptops, Ray wrote:
>>

>>>I'm uneasy about getting a new laptop because most no longer have a
>>>parallel port.
>>>
>>>I know that I can get a USB-to-parallel cable, but I want to be sure
>>>it will support my old HP LaserJet 6L printer.
>>
>>Odds are that the laptop has an ethernet port - instead of USB to
>>parallel, why not use ethernet-to-parallel? Pick up a networked Print
>>Server:
>>
>>http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=34&scid=...
>>http://dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=10&sec=0
>>
>>--
>>Joe Makowiec
>>http://makowiec.org/
>>Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 23, 2005 7:54:14 PM

If she is not using the ethernet port on the laptop for her internet
connection, you could connect the wired print server to the computer's
ethernet port with a crossover cable. However, configuration may well
be beyond your ability, as this would be a very non-standard configuration.

If she is using the ethernet port for a broadband (cable or DSL)
internet connection, then you would be advised to get a router with a
built-in 4-port switch (need not be a wireless router, although it could
be). The router would provide a DHCP server, which would simplify a lot
of configuration issues. Routers are cheap these days, you can get even
wireless routers for $20 or less.

Ray wrote:

> Thanks Bobb -- I somehow got the impression that ethernet was synonymous
> with wireless. I'll explore that option.
>
> But I don't follow you when you speak of "a single cable, laptop to
> printer". What port on the laptop does this cable plug into?
>
> -- Ray
> "bobb" <None@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> news:o q0n11lub2d6q1vvkgl9tv2fgv5i06fk27@4ax.com...
>
>>Ray, when I suggested an ethernet hookup, I specifically mention an
>>ethernet print server made by HP specifically for the laserjet, no
>>third party stuff. I am one of them IT guys, and I sympathize that
>>tweakings, many times is needed for "those other" adapters.
>>
>>With an HP print server which plugs directly into the printer
>>expansion port will INSTANTLY give you all the capabilities of the
>>laserjet with zero tweaking.
>>
>>I disagree that you feel ethernet is a SYSTEM. U can make it
>>complicated of course, but ethernet is been around long enough that
>>configuring one is, really, easy. And in this case u don't care about
>>server, hub, nothing. It's a single cable, laptop to printer, that's
>>is, can't be easier than that.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 23, 2005 7:55:18 PM

You should be able to get everything for about $60 to $70 or less.

!