Speed of Wireless Network

cusimar9

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Hi all,

I have a Sky wireless router and a Samsung R719 laptop. The laptop supports wireless b and g and when I connect I am apparently connected at 54Mbs.

I also have a PC in another room, hard wired to the router. Both are running Windows 7 and are networked via a homegroup.

Everything works fine but its dog slow copying files from one machine to the other.

I've just copied a 600MB file and windows shows an average speed of 2.6MB/s, this is with the laptop RIGHT NEXT TO the router. In another room of the house this drops to around 2.4MB/s.

However this is far below the quoted 54Mbs (2.6 * 8 = 20.8 Mbps). Is this the best I can do? Can you 'upgrade' a laptop to wireless n?

G

Wireless is usually about half the speed of wired even with good wireless reception. You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

Pilk

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
At that kind of speed i do not think you should be whining at the wireless interface check the kind of files you are transferring and then look at the read and write speeds of the hardrive. It could be that the folder has a lot of individual files that the drive has to contend with. Probably the Drives Read and Write speeds i would think.