CPU upgrade for LGA775 motherboard

Belker

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I'm running (for the last 4 years):

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13Gb (266x8) [overclocked to 336x8, 2.68Gb on stock cooler)
Asus P5W DH Deluxe (LGA 775)(Intel975x) motherboard
2 x 1Gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 (PC2-6400)
700W Thermaltake power supply
WinXP

Does it make any sense to upgrade this CPU? Or should I just run what I got until I do a whole new build?

Has anybody somewhat recently upgraded on a 775 board and how do you now feel about that decision?

Cost is an issue. I'm assuming a used CPU can be found on eBay for well under retail. What upgrade CPUs would be the best value and offer a decent improvment?

What issues are there with running a 45nm CPU on this motherboard vs. a 65nm one?

Any thoughts, ideas, or recommendations?

Solution
Selective upgrade is an option.
But pick parts than will transfer to a new system (Except memory as this will need to be DDR3 for new system).

Still have my E6400 as my backup computer. Have 2 pair Raid0 HDDs (One for Xp, on for Vista).

I'd go for a upgrade on the cheap until you can afford the "New" system.
(1) The E6400's should be good/easy to hit 3.2. I had no problem and back in its hay days many other posters were hitting that. May need a $30 HSF (I'm using the Zalman 9500 (better ones are cheaper, got mine on sale from COMPUSA). For the HSF, Buy one that you can mover over to new system (ie for SB 2500k CPU - So not a waste.

(2) fo for the 4 gigs of ram even if running 32 bit operating system. - 2 gigs is to small. Need...

Uther39

Distinguished
It does make sense for you to both upgrade your cpu and your RAM,

For your CPU i would get on ebay and see if you can get yourself a nice quad core, you can still of course buy these new but they are expensive, the 45nm ones run cooler than the 65nm so make better overclockers generally.

The next step is to buy another 2 x 1Gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 (PC2-6400), to increase your system ram to 4gb.

Upgrading these will give you a noticable system boost.

CPU upgrades

Intel CPU Q8300 Core 2 Quad Processor = http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-2-quad-q8300-yorkfield-core-s775-250ghz-1333mhz-4mb-cache-75x-core-ratio-retail still available for £100

Intel CPU Q8400 Core 2 Quad Processor = http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-2-quad-q8400-s775-yorkfield-core-266-ghz-1333mhz-4mb-cache-8x-ratio-95w-retail still available for £116

So get yourself the Q8400 and a Titan Fenrir after market cooler and Overclock your chip to 3GHZ

What issues are there with running a 45nm CPU on this motherboard vs. a 65nm one?
You should read the FAQ at http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=p5w%20dh&ps=20&pn=1&st=faq

As mentioned in the FAQ:

Due to chipset limitation, i975X chipset is not able to support all the features of 45nm CPU. The following is a list of the limitations:
1. VT function does not work.
2. The maximum FSB is capped at 1066MHz.
3. 0.5 CPU multiplier is not supported.
4. L2 cache size is not recognized correctly. However L2 cache is still functioning.

You probably should not buy a Q8300 (7.5 multiplier).

Belker

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
"what's your buget"

The reality is that my budget is the absolute least amount that I can spend to give me a certain level of satisfaction. So ... I don't know. I'm poor but I like feeling like I have a nice computer. Other things also compete for my limited dollars.

Since this discussion was started, I think the CCFL inverter on my monitor is going bad. (The monitor is older than the rest of the system.) I'm looking into a new 1920x1200 monitor. I can't understand how most people think that 1080 vertical resolution is just great. I've been running at 1280x1024 and have always wished for more height, not more width.

I'm also looking into a new video card because my x1950xt is getting achient by modern standards and a bigger monitor will drag it down. It has been good to me but I'd like to try Crysis2 and that card just won't work.

I also tried pushing the overclock on my E6400. I haven't tried in years. I hit 2.8 Ghz (350x8) real easy. I don't know what I was doing wrong before, but I guess 2.6 was mild.

I also found that I can get the same two memory sticks, that cost me $234 four years ago, for $37. It might make sense to double my RAM.

Any comment would be greatly welcome.

4gb ddr2-800 dual channel matching pairs if possible
Good aftermarket cooler so you can get better OC
that cpu should go higher
3.0ghz easy on good air
E6400 were Ovr Clocker favorites "Back in the DaY"
Just google "overclocking E6400"
pages and pages
Spend your main money of GPU
That will carry over to new build

Romeka Bonaface

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
I just got a Q9450 for 155 after shipping on ebay. I've OC'd it to 3.4 super hot, 3.26 super cool. Considering I'm running a GTX 560, overclocked extremely high... it is perfect. Best 775 setup for the money, for sure.

Sandy and core i processors are not worth the upgrade with a single (even high end) graphics processor. The performance in video games (and some other applications) are identical in the aggregate, clock for clock. Unless you plan to run GTX 570 in SLi, do not worry about upgrading to a new chipset/socket.

I'd recommend looking for the best Q9xxx series deal on ebay or craigslist. A Q9400 can be found for like 140. And yes, get another 2 gigs of RAM. If you want to overclock, you can get a hyper 212+ or freezer 7 pro rev 2 for ~30 dollars... though you should get a better cooler for 15 bucks more. Might be over 200, but undoubtedly less than 220.

Don't get a Q6xxx series. Too hot and too much power.

Romeka Bonaface

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

Why a waste?! As far as gaming is concerned there is no difference (clock for clock) in the aggregate of any quad core chips when using any single gpu configuration. An i7 with an hd 5870 will effectually perform identically to a q9300 and 5870, when they run at the same clock speed. One chip will have 4 more fps in Dirt 2, the other 7 more fps in Call of Juarez... during a single benchmark.

If you're going to spend 700 dollars (or more) on graphics processing alone, it becomes a different argument. 775 is only dead if you can afford to build something that takes advantage of the next generation... yet there will always be a next generation.

So what I'm saying is you'd be better off taking money and investing it in your new build in 20 years. Don't even own a computer right now. Terrible waste of money. :sarcastic:

Belker, get a Q9xxx for under 150 and sell your old one for 50. The improvement you'll see in Batman AA and BC2 is dramatic. If you're ready for a new computer, simply sell everything and buy everything again... though you wouldn't see much difference unless using, for example, 2 GTX 560's and up.

Play nice guys

Both of you have valid points

Mal - if the cost of upgrading LGA775 can get you into a SandyBridge setup then it makes no sense

Romeka - if upgrading LGA775 to high end Quadcore is done cheaply (sell old cpu off too) then that is a good idea since a Q9xxx is still very viable especially OCd

fatsoferret

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
my .02 cents, its better at this point to suck it up and deal with crappy framerates while you save up for a more modern system, theres more the the 1155 platform then just clock speed. its a whole different ballgame then 775

Romeka Bonaface

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
:lol:

When playing Crysis (for example), clock for clock, there is no difference when using a GTX 570 (for example) and any quad core processor currently available for consumer purchase. None... whatsoever.

I'm not frustrated... because I didn't spend 700 dollars to get 8 extra frames... in a few games... that I was already getting over 60 fps in. I spent 90 dollars to get 7 extra frames.

:sarcastic:

I'm simply telling belker "the absolute least amount" he can spend for the best performance currently available. This is not my, or rather, an opinion.

If he wants to buy 2 dual graphics processing units, by all means he should buy a sandy bridge and entirely new computer as well. It is rather difficult to spend "the least amount," however, when you're buying a whole new computer. I would not be, or rather, am not recommending he buy a 775 chip unless it is dramatically reduced in price, and he plans to use a single graphics processing unit configuration.

I don't know why you'd suggest I'm frustrated. I'm just confused as to how spending 100 dollars for a significant upgrade in processing power (for example) is more of a waste than spending 400 dollars for a new chipset/computer (for example) when you won't see much (if any) performance gain unless you were to spend at least another 500 dollars for graphics cards. :??:

My point is you, or rather, he would have to buy a lot of new parts to see a significant improvement over a quad 775. Of course an i7 is "better" than a core 2 quad, but future proofing and synthetic benchmarks are irrelevant. 1155 came out the day they announced 2011 is coming in 9 months... so why not just put up with minimum settings in BF3 and save for the chip after 2011 for BF4?

Speaking of that, where are them 2011 sockets anyway? I want one. Who wants to buy my computer? I need to save up now.

fatsoferret

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

there might not be a difference in crysis 2 (tho when you think about it, what system cant run crysis 2...), however there are big differences in other games that are CPU bound (starcraft 2, WOT, WoW, RIFT, APB:R, COD:BO, ect. ect.).

mw14220

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I have a 775 mobo. Pricing a new chip to up grade yours, you could get a E6800 Wolfdale chip( appx 100.00) and more ram. spending another 70.00 will get you an E8400@3.0 that you could OC. But price with more ram is then up to 200.00.. Hit Portatech.com they will give you pricing and basic PassMark speed info for comparison. Another thought, download Software Sandra or PassMark. Run the app and compare your machine to other baselines to help you decide where you want to be. You may decide to keep your cpu and upgrade your mem and gpu. Also download 3dMark to test your video. Test and compare. From what I've seen it is not worth upgrading to a more expensive chip on a 775 if you also need to buy more mem. I would love to up grade my c2duo also, but no money at this time. AMD 4 core Propus chip and mobo is what I might go with as I am not looking to break the bank.

Selective upgrade is an option.
But pick parts than will transfer to a new system (Except memory as this will need to be DDR3 for new system).

Still have my E6400 as my backup computer. Have 2 pair Raid0 HDDs (One for Xp, on for Vista).

I'd go for a upgrade on the cheap until you can afford the "New" system.
(1) The E6400's should be good/easy to hit 3.2. I had no problem and back in its hay days many other posters were hitting that. May need a $30 HSF (I'm using the Zalman 9500 (better ones are cheaper, got mine on sale from COMPUSA). For the HSF, Buy one that you can mover over to new system (ie for SB 2500k CPU - So not a waste.

(2) fo for the 4 gigs of ram even if running 32 bit operating system. - 2 gigs is to small. Need to buy same Ram as you already have, or just buy 2 x 2 gig - Better for OCing.

1+ 2 approx $70 ($90 if buying 2 x 2 Ram), but if you buy the right HSF it is really only costing you the price of the memory in the long run.

(3) did not catch the GPU. For gaming the GPU is very important. Upgrading this may not be worth it unless you can find one that would give you exceptable performance on your new build. The problem is I think the best you could goto is pcie express 2.0 as boards for 2.1 may not work in current system. Picking the right Video card upgrade could save on your initial "Buy" of a SB computer and then at a later date upgrade the video card. (ATI HD57xx for $120 -> $150).

I'm a intel guy (not really a fanboy) so if you want sub SB 2500K with amd whatever.

Added:
Cost of new system, reusing what you can
CPU ($200) + MB (100 -> 150 -> 200 depending on features) + Memory ( Approx $45 for 2 x 2 Gigs DDR3-1600 CL9)
Win 7 upgrade (approx $100)
Min = Approx $500 + GPU at least $150
PS (you have High enough wattage, just not sure of Brand and if you want to go with 4 yr old PSU) If new approx $50->75.

Reuse
Case ??
HDD and DVD drives.

Solution

mw14220

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

His mobo is DDR2 and he looking for an upgrade not a DDR3 mobo plus new chip and DDR3 mem.

fatsoferret

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

i was referring to RetiredChief's post stating that you can get 4 gigs of DDR31600 for 100 bucks. the prices of memory are at a low right now so its actually cheaper then he stated.

Belker

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

I was under the impression that all PCIe 2.1 x16 video cards were backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0 x16 slots. Is this correct?

you gotta love some of the replies on here.
a fresh build would cost the guy in excess of $1500/£1000 for not a great deal of gaming performance over a c2q. (DEPENDING ON GPU SETUP)
fair enough if he's doing productivity but if its just for games then spending $150 or £100 moving over to a quad isnt gonna break the bank and will give a healthy boost in performance over what he has.
its all well and good saying that he should go for a sandy but the harsh reality is that not every 1 can afford 1 and they are pretty pointless if the rest of the system isnt up to scratch too...

basically what im getting at is if a user has a gtx 460 and buys a c2q he will get pretty much the same gaming performance as a gtx460 system with a sandy 2500k in it. but the sandy will cost x4 to get up and running

as long as the xbox 360 and playstation 3 have there market share, then the core 2 quad will still be a relevant part for budget gaming at least.

yes a sandy would be nice to have but there not the gaming killers that some would make them out to be, especially on low-midrange gaming platforms.

personally i would rather buy a decent core 2 quad, with an sli setup for the same price as a sandy 2500k and a single card setup. the c2q in this situation will give more gaming performance and will still be relevant for at least 2 more years.

oh! and b4 you guys cry foul. dont blame me, blame the console owners...

@ fatsoferret Your correct, edited it to $45 for 2 x 2 DDR3-1600 CL 9)

@ Belker I could be mistaken but his MB may be PCIE version 1) (looked at MB manual and was not listed). and some version 2.1 GPU cards have problems with ver 1 slots. You are correct Version 2.1 cards not a problem if slot is version 2.0.

@ HEXit - I do agree the upgrade option is the best choice, based on need and budget. Not sure I would go to the C2Q as this money would be "down the Toilet" when he does go for the new system.
There are more compeling reasons for a "New" system than just FPS such as USB 3 support, Sata 6 support PCIe 2.1 support( possibly ver 3 support downstream ect.
The cost of a new SB system is very dependent on what can/is carried over from old system. Case in point - My cost for a new SB system will be ONLY approx $450, Just waiting on New Z series MBs - Already priced out. This is because I can carry over much of my "Old" System, the only thing I need to buy is CPU ($200), MB ($200), and a After market HSF ($50). Latter on I'll upgrade my GPU which I'll limit to $150. (Prices in USD)
The OP should be able to go with a SB system for CPU + MB + Memory + win 7 for Approx $500. Add to this a GPU for $150 if he goes for new system vs upgrade. But if he goes upgrade and buys a good GPU then this would carry over to SB build.

mw14220

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011

I stand corrected.

On a 975X chipset motherboard, the PCIe slots are version 1.1.