Closed Solved

Too much GPU?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within two weeks

BUDGET RANGE: approx. $350

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:  Gaming, gaming and occasionally gaming. 

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: 
None

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: 
This is a new build:
Phenom 2 965 Black Edition
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
4gig G.Skill 1600 Ram

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: 
Newegg.com Frozencpu.com and local shop

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Ati

OVERCLOCKING: No.  I fail in the patience category.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe 

MONITOR RESOLUTION:  1920x1200 

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I play mostly Steam based FPS's like Mass Effect 2 and on rare occasions some mmo's.   My main concern is not to gear the computer towards any specific  game but just well balanced throughout all games I will play.

I see on another thread that Crossfiring 5870's creates quite a bottleneck on the guy's 1090T, giving him only 5 - 10 FPS when running two cards.  If the gains in crossfiring are that minimal then I fail to see the finical justification.  

My question is, is crossfiring this system beneficial?  Due to the bottlenecking issue I feel that purchasing one really good card is just as good as crossfiring anything else.

If I don't crossfire, am I better off waiting for the 69xx's to be released? Even if it is just to wait for the price drops on other cards?

Or is the bottlenecking not that serious?  I apologize if I am being vague but I am at a loss.  My original plan was for a Xfx 5870 but then I found I could crossfire 6850's for roughly the same price which limits my ability to upgrade.  

Thank you greatly for your time and input.

4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. Best answer
    I'd recommed you buy a single fast/high end card, rather than 2 mid range cards like the HD6850's, although they do scale well, it does limit your upgrade path.

I'd wait until the 69xx series are out, should only be a few weeks to wait.
  2. The HD6950 should be right in your budget and is likely your best choice if you are willing to wait.
  3. Best answer selected by Fobnicat.
  4. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics