Going to spend around 700-800 for gaming pc

Solution
The setup looks pretty good,...

For your questions -
- If you want to buy SB, then you might have to shell out about ~$216 for the CPU and the mobo would cost in the range of the ~$150 or above(if Tier 1 brands) with x8x8 SLI/ Crossfire,...But not sure if it is worth it for gaming though,...

- I doubt it would,...

- No, x8x8 will still suffice for 6950 IMO,...

- Maybe with Crossfire later on and overclocking the CPU, it might hold for a couple of years...
The setup looks pretty good,...

For your questions -
- If you want to buy SB, then you might have to shell out about ~$216 for the CPU and the mobo would cost in the range of the ~$150 or above(if Tier 1 brands) with x8x8 SLI/ Crossfire,...But not sure if it is worth it for gaming though,...

- I doubt it would,...

- No, x8x8 will still suffice for 6950 IMO,...

- Maybe with Crossfire later on and overclocking the CPU, it might hold for a couple of years...

Solution

sung715

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Thanks a lot for your help,

I think I'll probably stick to amd. If there's no noticeable performance boost, I dont think I'd want to spend another $150 for sandy bridge upgrade.

EDIT:

I ended up purchasing my build, except I chose the sapphire 6950 over the MSI 6950. MSI doesn't really honor rebates so I thought sapphire might be a better option. :)

So final price comes out to $718

sung715

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Ohh I completely forgot about cooling!

I think i'll get that CM hyper 212+. Would it be necessary to add another fan to the other side in order to OC to maybe 4.0ghz?

I also noticed that I have 3 additional fan slots (120mm). But 2 of them are in the front for the HD, so those wouldn't help as much right? I might consider getting a side fan, but am at a loss to what rpm and cost I should be looking to pay.

Again, thanks a ton

TRENDING THREADS