Dual monitors with split sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

samtheham1

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Okay I may be posting in the wrong subject but this is sort of a split issue. I'm currently running dual monitors using my monitor and also running my TV via an HDMI cable from my GPU. The problem I'm having isn't with dual monitors but with the sound between them.

What would be ideal is that when I'm running a game or whatever on my monitor and then maybe streaming a video on my second monitor (the TV), I'd like the game's sound to come from my computer speakers and the video sound to come from my TV. To this point I haven't found a way to make that happen. All that I know to do is go to control panel and set the default sound device to either my TV or my speakers. There's no option to split the sound between the two. So right now if I'm doing separate tasks on two different monitors, all of the sound is either from my speakers or from the TV. I know most dual monitors set ups are run with two actual monitors side by side so this isn't an issue, because of this I can't imagine this is a common issue.

So my goal is to have the sound from any task running on my monitor to come out of my speakers. At the same time, any task that is running off of my TV should have its sound running through my TV. Any ideas?

tomvertommen

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Some applications allow to configure the used sound device...this way you can set the desired sound device.

Like I said; some applications won't allow you to do this and will just use the default.

To have any application detect on which monitor it's displaying it's gui and using this info to choose the desired sound device...well...I am not saying it's impossible, but atleast it sounds like an uneasy task.

goodluck

^+1 you cant change it unless you can specify which sounds card to use in the application settings. Usually they wont let you do this and you are stuck with the default.

bmmpt

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I just ran into the same issue and got it to work just fine.

I set my laptop speakers to system default. So all sound outputs from my laptop speakers even from video players running on my TV.
Then I configured those video players to output to the TV (I play videos with Windows Media Player and Media player classic, I'm sure most other video players will allow you to choose your output).

Now all my apps, except for those two will output from my laptop speakers.

tas1978

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I know this is an old thread, but I have two monitors, and an external sound card (M-Audio Mobile Pre). I have a simple audio cable from the external card to the selected monitor, but I also had to change the input settings in the <i>monitor's</i> menu. I still have to select the audio per application too though.

If you swap the video cables, whichever monitor's audio was being used will also swap.

NoRest4Wicked1

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

AMD's Catalyst software has an option for Theater Mode. Is this something that would allow the monitor used for streaming/playing videos to play those sounds but allow all other system/game sounds through the default sound device (PC speakers)? We frequently have movies streaming through the second monitor on my wife's gaming computer but she wants to separate the sounds so she can have her games play through the surround speakers and the movie sounds through the 2nd monitor's built in speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.