Much better performance when playing on a monitor than TV?

pb7280

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Hello, I just got Fallout New Vegas for the PC, and I haven't run into much problems playing it until I tried to play it on my TV. I know I should be able to play it on full settings, because I was able to play Fallout 3 on full settings and New Vegas was supposed to be less good looking. Playing on the monitor isn't as good, because the speakers I have suck and I just want to be able to sit on the couch and use the 5.1 system to play properly. The TV is a Sharp LCD, 42" and 1080p. I have it set to 1080p in the CCC, and it reports that the TV is capable of 75Hz, which it is looking in the manual, but only on 1024x768, and there is NO way I will be playing on that. The TV is hooked up through HDMI, same as the monitor is, which goes through the stereo to get the surround sound then into the TV. The result is just an overall less framerate. Even when I have both the monitor and the TV plugged in, the monitor looks a lot better in performance than when you look at the TV.

Specs:

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
AMD Phenom II 940 X4 3.0GHz
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
4GB OCZ FATAL1TY RAM DDR2 1066MHz
ASUS M4A78 PRO Motherboard
3 x 500GB HDD RAID0
Corsair TX750w PSU
Samsung SyncMaster 2443BW 24" 1920x1200

Yamaha Natural Sound Receiver RX-V565
Sharp LC-42SB45U 1080p 42" LCD

Thanks for any help you can give me.

pb7280

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
The problem seemed to happen only when I send audio over the HDMI as well? Might be because the graphics card has trouble making the sound as well?
But something else is wrong, I get framerates as low as 10 when I walk into the Vegas Strip, even when just on the monitor, yet Fallout auto-set my settings to highest, and I don't see how I can get that low on this game with my hardware?

Take the same number of pixels and spread them out over a much larger screen, then view them both from the same distance . . . that being close up . . . and your smaller monitor should always look better.

Can't help yet on the FPS thing.

Is it the Audio or the Video that the problem because 2 people are talking about totally different things? If it's the Audio i had problems with mine when i watch movies I just didn't realize i had to switch the Audio from the default speakers, to the HDMI Output then set that as the default.

pb7280

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009

When I was playing Fallout whenever there were noises the game would stutter and the sound would also skip. This was when using the HDMI as audio, which I'm guessing can impede the video cards peformance (since it is then also having to set aside resources to make the sound). When I switch to onboard audio it works, yet I don't have any way of getting surround sound even from the optical output on my motherboard, so I guess the only thing I can do to help is buy a sound card.

Do you have an Optical cable? And just for the fun of it try using different HDMI cables or switching them up.From what i read they have a sound chip built into the card that just get the audio from the system and just relays it through the line. Why can't you use the optical output?

pb7280

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009

Yes I am using that board, I've used my TV and audio many times before with this same computer set up, but I didn't have my sound amplifier, so I never output sound over HDMI before, just out of the onboard optical. Now I use HDMI and I noticed this problem.