Can I simply drop in a new Socket AM3 CPU?

Xiotech

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Hello Everyone!

I Would be interested to know if I can simply drop in a compatible AMD CPU (Socket AM3) to jump up my current CPU Speed/Power?

Gateway DX4320
AMD Phenom II X4 820 2.8 CPU (Deneb)
Socket AM3
AMD 880G Chipset
AMD SB850 Southbridge
AMI Bios P01-A2 (04/21/2010)
ATI Radeon HD 4250 (Embedded)
DD3 1333 mhz Dual Channel (6-gigs)
Running Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

This machine came with a stock 300wt power supply I'll be upgrading it to 500-600wt for some good power and getting a dedicated PCIx16 video card and disabling the onboard embed video.

1. Should I be able to get any Phenom II X4 to run in this rig... say something like AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 (Deneb 4c) just by simply swapping processors out?

2. Would my OS still run, or is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit looking for a certain speed AMD cpu on startup?

3. What's the top end of this Socket AM3 swapping scenario... could I run a AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.3 (Thuban 6c)?

Thanks for any help
Tim

I cannot guarentee it but based on what I see with your setup and the OEM, It is more than likely.
http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2010/gateway/dx/dx4320/DX4320sp2.shtml

There are no issues with that. The only thing remotely like that was the chipset with older windows XP systems. If the motherboard was replaced, oftentimes windows would need to be recovered. This is not he case with windows 7 anymore. However, that has nothing to do with the CPU. Switch and swap everything to your heart's content.

This one is a bit tougher. The document I linked you only states support for up to phenom IIx4. From the link ct gave you, it seems there are models being sold with an x6 though so it will likely work. Update your bios first to minimize the possibility of issues:
(click on bios) http://support.gateway.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=2285

A bit off topic but may I ask why you want to upgrade your CPU? If it is a responsiveness issue, I cannot see the CPU being a problem. It is possible the CPU will make no difference so to make sure, I would like to ask specifically what is too slow for you?

Xiotech

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
The reason I would like to upgrade is to possibly play some computer games (obviously will need a Dedicated Video Card) and just to have all the best budget resources that I can afford to have. I typically get the best (cheap/meager) system I can get every 4-5 years... and then make it last for very long time.

I was hoping a Phenom II X6 processor and a dedicated 1-gig video card, would give me some significant pop in performance. But, it sounds like you are saying X6 processor would really add nothing to the mix, and maybe just a much faster X4 (955)?

Does windows care about the speed/cores of the Socket AM3 cpu?

Honestly, unless you go for a video card more powerful than a radeon 6870 or GTX560ti then your CPU is powerful enough for gaming. This is from a guy who just got a radeon 6950 1GB and runs it on a stock 1055t and is still experimenting to try to determine if there is a performance increase going from 2.8 to higher or not.

But if you still want to upgrade your CPU, the 955 is the best choice for you. The most worth it's price of the phenom IIx4's with enough performance. The extra 2 cores of the Phenom II x6 currently cannot be made use of by most games.

noollig

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
+1 on Enzo's and ct's response. I can tell you I just upgraded from a dual to a quad core Phenom II and it was a simple swap job without any additional steps or issues.

So far the extra two cores in a Thuban wouldn't add as much performance as a faster quad core in games and is more helpful for applications that do encoding, rendering, or compressing.

Here's a link to a review of the 1100T compared to the slower clocked 1090, 1075 and the quad core 970 that can give you more details on the matter:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-x6-1100t-thuban-amd,2810.html

Better to spend more cash on a beefier video card since most games only utilize 2-4 cores anyway. My Phenom II x4 3.2GHz and Radeon HD 6950 destroy most games at 1920x1080.

rajaawad23

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
hi, as said before your CPU is good enough for gaming and will not bottleneck most GPUs so instead of getting a new cpu spend more on a good GPU and overclock your CPU to 3.0GHz or 3.2GHz if you really want to, look at my system athlon II 620 @ 3.2GHz with 6GB ram and a hd3650 overclocked and is running crysis on very high, dirt 2 max with AAx8, there is no point upgrading your CPU.

G

Lol even my 4850 cant run crysis on very high @1080p maybe 720p...

hmm. Actually, I think it's my 4850 that I'm thinking of. I used it until recently... when I killed it with voltage. Even though my 6950 can now run crysis warhead on enthusiast, I still can't get a constant 50-70 FPS even though it hits that. I still drops to 30ish depending on where I am at 1080p.

G

10 - 15 FPS is in no way playable, upto 24 is still playable...better is >30 best is >59

G

BIOS update, it will work.
You might not need the BIOS update.
just get either cpu and install.
once you boot up your unit windows will install the correct cpu drivers and then prompt you to reboot.
once you reboot, your done.
re-run the WEI assessment.
You forgot to highlight the chipset 880G and SB850

I'm pretty sure a 1090t would work but a BIOS update is surely required to put on a 1100 tho...

That falls in line. And I am also impressed that you can even play at 10-15FPS. Crysis is the only game that I am willing to play at 30FPS

Anyway, my point was that a 3650 is an old and weak card relatively speaking and not a good example to use to try to say there will be no CPU bottlenecking in his system. No CPU that can be found on a motherboard with a PCI-e slot will hold back that GPU.