Sign in with
Your question

Does the location of the card matter?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2010 7:38:27 PM

There were two slots to put my Twin Frozr II R5850 onto my motherboard. I put it on the slot on the bottom, because my hard drive was in the way of the first slot. Will this matter at all? Or should I move my hard drive and put my graphics card in the first slot?

More about : location card matter

a c 376 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2010 7:44:21 PM

The second slot on some motherboards has a lower speed. If it is x4 I would keep it int he first slot if at all possible, especially if it is a PCIE 1.0 system. What motherboard do you have exactly?
m
l
November 4, 2010 7:48:16 PM

jyjjy said:
The second slot on some motherboards has a lower speed. If it is x4 I would keep it int he first slot if at all possible, especially if it is a PCIE 1.0 system. What motherboard do you have exactly?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That is the one I have.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 7:52:24 PM

on that board as long as its in one of the blue slots you're fine
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2010 7:59:00 PM

g00fysmiley said:
on that board as long as its in one of the blue slots you're fine

There's only one blue PCIE x16 slot. The second slot is x4 but it is a PCIE 2.0 motherboard. There will be a performance difference but it will be small. Here is an article on the subject where they tested an HD5870;
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Expr...
A slot like the one your card in limited performance by approximately 5%. The HD5870 needs slightly more bandwidth so it may be a lil lower for your card, unless you have it overclocked and then it could be a slightly larger hit.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2010 8:03:41 PM

yea i read it wrong x.x top slot is best but its nto gonna make a huge difference with a low-mid end card. with as 5850 being higher end ... i'd definatly put it in the x16 (blue upper)
m
l
!