ATI Radeon HD 5750 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Not Working

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Windows Server 2008
  • Servers
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 4, 2010 7:55:14 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums.. I joined because of this issue. I've been googling this for about 6 hours, and I can't find *anything* resolving the issue, and it's starting to become very annoying. Hopefully someone can help!

The situation is... I'm running Windows Server 2008 R2 to test it out, and not really as my serious platform. I am learning about networking and stuff, and being able to host different kinds of servers on this OS is pretty interesting. I know that a server isn't meant to be something that you use graphics on, but it's so slow updating the graphics, the resolution is pretty awful, and it's just really hard to work with.

The computer is running the Server OS in dual boot with Windows 7 Premium x64, in which everything works fine (graphics card wise). Specs:
8 GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1 GB GDDR5, XFX.
2.40 Ghz AMD Phenom x4 64 Bit processor
1 TB 7200RPM HDD

Now.. for further clarifications, the Server does not detect the graphics card in Device Manager as "ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series". Instead, it's giving me two 3200 series devices. One of which has an error code 10, failed to start. In windows 7, there's the 3200 along with the 5700 series devices. For some reason I only see two 3200's in the server. I have tried installing the drivers for the card, but when I do it only installs the 3200 drivers, and somehow the "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies" Folder is completely empty after the install. Dunno if that's how it should be.

If i've left anything out, feel free to ask.

Thanks for any help you can give,
Mach990

More about : ati radeon 5750 windows server 2008 working

November 4, 2010 9:46:00 PM

It is only detecting your IGP. If you enter BIOS and disable the IGP it should not show up in device manager. Make sure that PCI express is set as primary graphics.
m
l
November 14, 2010 11:25:29 PM

In my BIOS, it's already set as PCIe to be the default. I don't see any option to completely disable onboard graphics though. I have the Gateway DX4300, so if you know what kind of BIOS that is, does anyone know if this is possible?
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2010 11:43:49 AM

I had Similar problem when i bought 5750 chip. Just set PCIe as default and disable onboard graphs. Do you have catalyst center installed? Do you have External power source connected?
m
l
November 15, 2010 6:29:06 PM

Well it works fine on my regular Windows 7 installation, but while I'm testing out the Windows Server 2008 R2, I can't , for some reason, get it to detect the card. It only uses the basic driver. I've tried to install Catalyst Control Center, but unfortunately when I install that, nothing actually happens. It says install finished, but nothing actually got installed. I tried installing with and without admin priviliges.

What do you mean "external power source"? Because my Power Supply inside the computer is connected with one of the 6 pin connectors to the Graphics card. I know the card works wonderfully, but Windows Server 2008 R2 seems to not want to use the full potential of the card. It only wants to use basic VGA drivers =P

Like I was saying before though, in my BIOS, it does seem to be set as PCIe to be the default device. I have nothing connected on any specifically integrated graphics ports, anyways. I may be a little confused as to how the entire thing works, but I have two monitors plugged into the 5750 card. I don't have anything plugged into the vertical (integrated graphics) ports on the computer. Sooo I don't see why it should be using the integrated graphics drivers?
m
l
!