Upgrade from 512mb 9800 GT x2

Hello,

One of my 9800 GT's (not GTS) died while gaming the other day. I still have one working for a bit, but I do want to upgrade soon.

I was looking at maybe the GTX 470. Would this be faster than both my two 512 mb 9800 GT's in SLI?

I never really liked having SLI cards and won't do it again. But my next card needs to be faster than my old SLI setup.

I have to stay under 300 bucks. Any idea's. Seems like this is the best place to ask.

Also I am fine with ATI suggestions. Just been with Nvidia lately.
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade 512mb 9800
  1. The GTX 470 would be faster than your 9800GTs. The HD6870 is another option. It is slightly weaker than the GTX 470 but is significantly better with regards to power/heat. You could also wait a few weeks for the HD6950. It's due out in a few weeks and will probably be equal to or better than the GTX 480 while costing $300-350(these are estimates as the hard data on the cards isn't available yet.)
  2. Before you hop on the horse cowboy/girl we need to know the rest of your system it up to the task of having such a card such as psu and cooling.
  3. I know I have the wattage to handle to card.

The machine is just an XPS 630i. Its about a year old. 3.4ghz dual core. 8gb of ram on vista at the moment. I don't really plan on upgrading the CPU cause I don't want to upgrade mother board and CPU together.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Also I have a question. I was looking at 5870, which is a little more than I want to pay. It looks like it is a bit better then the GTX 470 in most games.

My question is, is the 6000 series better that the 5870? Cause the 6000 series of cards seem to be a lot cheaper. Which doesn't make sense.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gaming SLI Graphics