Blank screen after installing new RAM, no post beeps

Stovepipe

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I recently upgraded my memory on my alienware aurora r3. I installed 4GBx4 GSkill Ripjaw x series found here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

After installation I powered the PC on and it powered up, fans ran and nothing more. I removed all the ram reinserted my old ram and it worked. I then installed each of the GSkills individually thinking it may have been a bad stick. None of them worked.

I'm not willing to believe that all 4 sticks were bad. What are the odds? I was worried that the memory installed was only 1333mhz and this is 1600 but it is compatible.

Does anyone have any idea or do I just have 4 bad sticks of RAM.

Thank you in advance for any advice or ideas.

Put the old ram back in, go into BIOS, and set the memory specifications to the new memory specs. save and shutdown. Then install the new memory( one stick ). See if it will boot now. If so, put the other new memory in & test. If not, it's possible that the new memory is not compatible with your motherboard. Check the QVL for memory.

Stovepipe

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
would you happen to know where I could find the memory specs for the ram or point me in the right direction for it? The RAM itself didnt include anything that specified. I know where the area in the BIOS is to change all of it...just not sure what to change it to

Stovepipe

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
ok, i updated the bios with the new timings and voltage for the new ram. Put in one stick and the same thing happened. Im guessing this ram just isnt compatible...

You also made sure you told the memory to run @ 1333 while the old stick was in(in the bios)? There is a slight chance that the board does not work right with 1600. Worst case, contact Alienware to ensure the system it self can support 4GB sticks.

For testing i'd go as far as setting it to 1333 @ 10,10,10,30 to see what it does. The 1.5 volt setting(Vdimm or memory in the bios) should be standard.

surfbum2009

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010

hi there go to crucial memory the link is..........http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/drammemory.aspx?gclid=CL7wzIiAta4CFaEntAodhFPEow&cpe=pd_google_uk&ef_id=ljJPOSB8SAgAAEOa:20120223210530:s

you will get the right ram from them :pt1cable: