Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 POST problem

boogi

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Hi,

I'm building a brand new system and I'm having trouble getting it to POST at all. Unfortunately, the case that I bought doesn't have an internal PC speaker, so I can't listen for any beeps. Here's my setup:

Intel i5 2500k
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3
Coolermaster Hyper 212+ heatsink/fan
16gb G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 PC312800 RAM
Sapphire Radeon 5770
Coolermaster Extreme Power Plus RS500

As far as I can tell, everything is hooked up correctly. I have the power supply connected to the motherboard for both ATX_12V_2X4 and ATX cables. I have two case fans powered up. The cpu fan/heatsink is powered as well. All three fans start up fine.

When I power up the system, all LED lights on the motherboard light up for about 5-10 seconds and then they all go out. There is no video output at all.

Actually, the very first time I booted, I did see some video output and it said something about a POST error, but ever since then I haven't been able to see video output at all.

I've tried with only one stick of RAM in the DDR3-1 slot and that didn't help (I tried several sticks one at a time). I've also tried the video card in an older computer and was able to get it to display the POST screen, so I think the video card is okay.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

boogi

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Sorry, I feel like an idiot for not seeing that post. I tried searching, but I put in my specific motherboard model and maybe that's why it didn't come up.

So I went through the steps and I reset the CMOS battery and now I can get video output again. It says "CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded" and then there's a dialog box in the middle of the screen that says: "POST error occurs!" and I have to choose a new profile. I went into BIOS setup and chose "Load fail-safe" and it seems to be booting (except I haven't put in my hard drive yet). I'll update if I run into more issues, but does anyone know why I got that original checksum error and if this is indicative of a bigger problem? Thanks!