Llano & Bulldozer - The Socket Question

G

Salutations all.

I didn't really know where to post this, so I hope it's OK for it to be in this section.

My question is this: Does anyone know whether or not Bulldozer and Llano will share the same socket?

All the stuff I could find on the net said that Bulldozer would be compatible with AM3+ mobos, while a new socket, the FM1 socket would be used for the Llano APU's...

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Solution
Llano is for desktop and notebook platforms. It will not use the AM3+ socket. There will be separate chip-sets for desktops and notebooks, llano needs a new socket to get the processed video data off the processor and toward the hdmi/dvi/vga/whatever port.

Quality scales
I'm pretty sure they will not. I can't recall where I read about Llano's socket though but it only makes sense since Llano has an integrated GPU.

I've not heard of FM1.

And that part is incorrect: Bulldozer will not be compatible with AM3+ motherboards but old AM3 CPUs will be compatible with AM3+ motherboards. Any motherboard manufacturer who claims that their "AM3" motherboard will support Bulldozer is lying. Those motherboards are actually AM3+ boards. I've seen this and I've seen that only their "new revisions" support the new CPUs but those "new revisions" actually have an AM3+ socket. You can see by an additional pin.

That said, if you have already done research, why are you asking here? No one knows anything more than speculation and announcements that you already found with your search. Then again, if this thread is able to be "kept alive" you'll get a constant stream of daily updates on new information :)

sabysmth

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Llano is for desktop and notebook platforms. It will not use the AM3+ socket. There will be separate chip-sets for desktops and notebooks, llano needs a new socket to get the processed video data off the processor and toward the hdmi/dvi/vga/whatever port.

Quality scales

Solution
G

Thanks, folks.
That's rather sad that Llano and Bulldozer will likely be on different sockets. After all, the i3 and the i7 share the same socket, don't they?

loneninja

Distinguished
LLano gets FM3 if i'm not mistaken

Sad part about Llano is that it's exactly the same as the Phenom II X4 but just on a 32nm process and with an IGP added. Amd did Zero improvements.

Architecture may still be the same, but power gating and vastly improved turbo compared to Thuban count for something. Unless I'm mistaken, they actually removed the L3 cache so it's more of an Athlon II. :lol:

G

I did some reading, and the bit about Llano not having any L3 checks out.
That's bad!
Looks like I might be going Bulldozer or i3 / i5, if that's the case when I finally upgrade my rig... What the heck is AMD playing at? :pfff:

G

Nope, that's Bobcat. Llano is the mainstream APU architecture, while Bulldozer ("Orochi / Zambezi") is an enthusiast-class, vanilla CPU architecture. Zacate is already in the market, while Llano and Bulldozer are slated for a Q3 2011 release, AFAIK.

It's kinda complicated. Here's a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Fusion#Current_platforms