Optimal soundcard for headphones?

Savage6s

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Right now, I'm looking into buying a sound card to complement my headphones, since I live in an apartment, buying a sound system wouldn't be feasible or polite. Right now I'm running a set of Sony V-6's I use my computer fairly balanced between music/video and gaming. But here's the kicker, I have a fairly old am2/am3 micro board and I do not have an open pci express port. SO, what sound card should to accentuate my headphone use but uses a pci port? I only wanna spend about $70 usd on this, any suggestions? Or perhaps should I look into another set of headphones that perhaps bypass the soundcard on my pc?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

The best PCI cards are probably as follows, in more or less increasing performance [though for headphones, you should take a long look at the ASUS Xonar DG]

ASUS Xonar DG
ASUS Xonar DS [I'm pretty sure this is PCI, but need to check...]
ASUS Xonar D1
HT Omega Striker
Auzentech Prelude
ASUS Xonar D2
ASUS Essence ST [which is actually better then the somewhat older PCI-E based STX]

Savage6s

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

I think I'm gonna go with the DG, it was also recommended by king smp. It's well within my budget and it looks pretty solid. Realistically, how much of a difference should I expect to notice?

I own the card and compared to my onboard the difference to me is definitley noticeable.
I dont use the Dolby headphone feature (though since you pointed out the Logitech cans I think I will have to consider trying it out) but
with my Creative surround sound using the 1/8 analog outs there is clearly
a difference.
Also my onboard didnt have 5.1 through analog outputs so that was another factor

Also the software that comes with the DG is almost worth the $35 price alone.
It has about every sound control imaginable.
If you get the Logitech phones I imagine you will be pleasantly suprised
and please post back or Private Message me with a mini review of that setup
I would be very curious how it is.
For about $140 total that sounds like a great deal