Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which upgrade(s) would improve work flow.

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2011 8:28:36 PM

About a month ago I built this PC
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80GHz
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7H55-M PRO (LGA1156)
ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series ( 5670 ) 512 DDR5
313GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD322GJ ATA Device (SATA)
Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W

This is mainly for GFX VFX and 3D modeling.
I was thinking that some stuff could be done to help work flow and speed up render times
Also maybe a 1TB HDD would help store stuff.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also more or faster RAM (one or the other)
2 More Gb of RAM?
Faster RAM ? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A better GPU? GTX 460?

What would speed up render times and/or improve work flow
January 4, 2011 8:42:22 PM

I would foremost recommend a RAM-upgrade if those numbers are correct. I'd say the new Corsair Vengeance 4GB-modules, really cheap due to new technology (factory wise). A bump in the graphics might prove prudent as well, certainly now when nVidia is bashing forwards with new technologies specific to your area of usage. I have two GTX 470 and although I don't do much rendering myself, they fold proteins like crazy (Folding@Home, if you don't know about it, try it out today:ref google) and I've watched videos of their (almost) real-time photo rendering. GTX 460 is a great card well worth the low buck!

But I'll tell you something that may seem easy, but will probably be the cheapest boost you can make; buy a decent cooler for you CPU and dash it up to a blazing 3.8GHz instead of 2.8GHz ;)  I can recommend the well-known Corsair (Oh yes, I dig Corsair) H50 for that.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2011 8:42:24 PM

What sort of problems are you experiencing? If rendering is slow, it's probably a GPU issue.

Check your system performance (Ctrl+Alt+Del; move to the performance tab with the CPU cores and RAM usage). If you're using almost all of your RAM, you should get more. BTW, is "668MHz" a typo?

A 1TB hard drive will just help if you need more storage space and the files are large (I'd recommend the Samsung F3 over the WD Black).
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 4, 2011 8:43:16 PM

I'd suggest a better GPU: a 460 or 570 as the first option if you are doing 3 D modeling will be the single best option
January 4, 2011 8:58:13 PM

boiler1990 said:
What sort of problems are you experiencing? If rendering is slow, it's probably a GPU issue.

Check your system performance (Ctrl+Alt+Del; move to the performance tab with the CPU cores and RAM usage). If you're using almost all of your RAM, you should get more. BTW, is "668MHz" a typo?

A 1TB hard drive will just help if you need more storage space and the files are large (I'd recommend the Samsung F3 over the WD Black).

Well when I am rendering an HD video most of the CPU's are being used at 90% same with RAM and the 668 is the bus speed I believe its 1333Hz
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 5, 2011 1:28:36 AM

the GPUs will help a lot there
m
l
January 12, 2011 4:22:29 AM

Best answer selected by Sneakyy.
m
l
!