Solved

Which upgrade(s) would improve work flow.

About a month ago I built this PC
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80GHz
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7H55-M PRO (LGA1156)
ATI Radeon HD 5600 Series ( 5670 ) 512 DDR5
313GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD322GJ ATA Device (SATA)
Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W

This is mainly for GFX VFX and 3D modeling.
I was thinking that some stuff could be done to help work flow and speed up render times
Also maybe a 1TB HDD would help store stuff.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533&cm_re=internal_hardrive-_-22-136-533-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152238&cm_re=internal_hardrive-_-22-152-238-_-Product

Also more or faster RAM (one or the other)
2 More Gb of RAM?
Faster RAM ? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226120

A better GPU? GTX 460?

What would speed up render times and/or improve work flow
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which upgrade improve work flow
  1. I would foremost recommend a RAM-upgrade if those numbers are correct. I'd say the new Corsair Vengeance 4GB-modules, really cheap due to new technology (factory wise). A bump in the graphics might prove prudent as well, certainly now when nVidia is bashing forwards with new technologies specific to your area of usage. I have two GTX 470 and although I don't do much rendering myself, they fold proteins like crazy (Folding@Home, if you don't know about it, try it out today:ref google) and I've watched videos of their (almost) real-time photo rendering. GTX 460 is a great card well worth the low buck!

But I'll tell you something that may seem easy, but will probably be the cheapest boost you can make; buy a decent cooler for you CPU and dash it up to a blazing 3.8GHz instead of 2.8GHz ;) I can recommend the well-known Corsair (Oh yes, I dig Corsair) H50 for that.
  2. What sort of problems are you experiencing? If rendering is slow, it's probably a GPU issue.

Check your system performance (Ctrl+Alt+Del; move to the performance tab with the CPU cores and RAM usage). If you're using almost all of your RAM, you should get more. BTW, is "668MHz" a typo?

A 1TB hard drive will just help if you need more storage space and the files are large (I'd recommend the Samsung F3 over the WD Black).
  3. Best answer
    I'd suggest a better GPU: a 460 or 570 as the first option if you are doing 3 D modeling will be the single best option
  4. boiler1990 said:
    What sort of problems are you experiencing? If rendering is slow, it's probably a GPU issue.

Check your system performance (Ctrl+Alt+Del; move to the performance tab with the CPU cores and RAM usage). If you're using almost all of your RAM, you should get more. BTW, is "668MHz" a typo?

A 1TB hard drive will just help if you need more storage space and the files are large (I'd recommend the Samsung F3 over the WD Black).

Well when I am rendering an HD video most of the CPU's are being used at 90% same with RAM and the 668 is the bus speed I believe its 1333Hz
  5. the GPUs will help a lot there
  6. Best answer selected by Sneakyy.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product