What should i use RAID Autodetect / AHCI or RAID Autodetect / ATA???

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Hi i have a dell 8400 and the problem was that it wouldn't go past the windows xp loading screen and after 2 seconds the blue error screen shows only for 0.5 seconds and then it restarts by it self.

So i changed from RAID Autodetect / AHCI To Autodetect / ATA... the problem now is that the CD/DVD drive wont work, and i want to reformat the computer... I've heard that you should keep it on RAID Autodetect / AHCI.. is there any risk to destory the computer if you have it on RAID Autodetect / ATA???

And do you know how i can fix the CD/DVD drive problem? it won't read anything

When using SATA drives, you should set the mode to AHCI BEFORE you install windows. Once windows is installed, if you change from IDE legacy mode to AHCI, you will experience the problems you are having. System will turn on and all looks fine until the windows loading screen. Then no b9oot or immediate blue screen.

I you are reformatting and installing windows, I would set it it to AHCI and then do your install. Afterward AHCI should work fine. Albeit I have a bit older motherboard that has never worked properly in AHCI, I really am not sure why.

If you are having issues then usually setting the mode to legacy/IDE mode will correct things for now, unless of course it was set to AHCI originally. AHCI and raid are tied together on some motherboards, while on others such as mine, SATA raid is a different mode.

Mixed AHCI/IDE mode is usually a bad idea. Usually doesn't work in my experience.

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I downloaded intel matrix storage...

but this shows up:

This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for the installation of this software.

naxster

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009

sorry for double post but i got one more question...

Is it dangerous to have it on RAID Autodetect / ATA?? And whats the different.
Also can i reformat my computer with RAID Autodetect / ATA?? If yes, how? because when i insert the cd and restart the computer it will not boot.