Compatability Assistance: Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
March 29, 2011 10:05:09 PM

Hello there,

I want to replacing my old mobo as it's getting unstable. I'm happy with my current CPU, however. I need a more powerful mobo with new technology, as I want to upgrade it with new components in the coming months.'

Anyways...

Is the Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition compatible with ASUS Crosshair IV Formula? The CPU is Quad-Core with socket AM2+, I heard it was able to run on socket AM3 mobos...

mobo info: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

sorry, can't find the info for the cpu.

Thank you.

More about : compatability assistance phenom 940 black edition

a c 231 à CPUs
March 29, 2011 10:11:13 PM

AM3 CPUs can run on AM2+ boards but not the otherway around, AM2+ CPUs only have a DDR2 controller, while AM3 CPUs have a DDR2 and a DDR3 controller built in, so you cannot run that 940 on the Crosshair IV board as it wont have a way to talk to the memory.
March 29, 2011 10:12:50 PM

Hunter is right and your CPU won't work with that mobo. However, if you can find an AM3 socket mobo that uses DDR2 memory you can drop that CPU in it.

Going off on a tangent, if you decide to just get a new cpu with a new motherboard, I'd recommend getting an intel sandy bridge based CPU and mobo or waiting till the new AM3+ chips and motherboards come out later in the year.
Related resources
a c 231 à CPUs
March 29, 2011 10:17:09 PM

noollig said:
However, if you can find an AM3 socket mobo that uses DDR2 memory you can drop that CPU in it.

AKA an AM2+ board

All AM3 boards use DDR3, that is the only thing that differentiates them from AM2+ boards.
March 29, 2011 10:18:33 PM

Crap! Looks like I'll have to replace it then. lol
March 29, 2011 10:20:27 PM

Okay then. What about the memory? Can I use it, or will I have to replace those as well? Thank you guys. =)
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2011 10:20:55 PM

Thats a really serious mobo.If i was you i would buy a lesser mobo and put that money twards a new CPU.

Are you looking for a multi GPU setup?How many and with what?
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2011 10:22:12 PM

You can find DDR2 AM3 boards but they are few and scarce.And the options of what they come in are limited.It's easier just to buy new DDR3 memory.
March 29, 2011 10:22:13 PM

siegedelux said:
Crap! Looks like I'll have to replace it then. lol

Intel sandy bridge cpu and motherboard is the best way to go then. Currently, the sandy bridge stuff blows everything else out of the water.
March 29, 2011 10:25:33 PM

purple stank said:
Thats a really serious mobo.If i was you i would buy a lesser mobo and put that money twards a new CPU.

Are you looking for a multi GPU setup?How many and with what?

Not yet. I jsut need a mobo that supports new technology so I can add new components when I get the cash.
March 29, 2011 10:26:25 PM

purple stank said:
You can find DDR2 AM3 boards but they are few and scarce.And the options of what they come in are limited.It's easier just to buy new DDR3 memory.

Okay man. I'll take a look at the DDR2 AM3 boards. =)
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2011 10:44:51 PM

What i'm saying is it would be easier to just upgrade to DDR3 memory.Finding DDR2 AM3 mobo's is like finding a needle in a haystack.Most of them are micro ATX and don't have any of the newer technologies.
March 29, 2011 10:45:14 PM

noollig said:
Hunter is right and your CPU won't work with that mobo. However, if you can find an AM3 socket mobo that uses DDR2 memory you can drop that CPU in it.

Going off on a tangent, if you decide to just get a new cpu with a new motherboard, I'd recommend getting an intel sandy bridge based CPU and mobo or waiting till the new AM3+ chips and motherboards come out later in the year.

Do you mean Fusion for AMD?
March 29, 2011 10:46:02 PM

siegedelux said:
Okay man. I'll take a look at the DDR2 AM3 boards. =)

Just make sure the board you choose has 2600 MHz Hyper Transport to get the most out of your CPU.
March 29, 2011 10:46:58 PM

purple stank said:
What i'm saying is it would be easier to just upgrade to DDR3 memory.Finding DDR2 AM3 mobo's is like finding a needle in a haystack.Most of them are micro ATX and don't have any of the newer technologies.

You're right, I've given up already. I may go for that mobo. :p 
a b à CPUs
March 29, 2011 10:56:38 PM

siegedelux said:
You're right, I've given up already. I may go for that mobo. :p 

Here's a good budget board I've been using for several builds. It can take ddr2 or ddr3. Its a micro atx but could get you by for now until bulldozer or if you choose sandy bridge, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GL
March 29, 2011 10:59:37 PM

If you're switching to a DDR3 mobo and have to pick up a new CPU I suggest you go with an Intel socket 1155 mobo and a sandy bridge CPU simply because it's the best out there right now and not too expensive. It sounds like you are interested in something somewhat future-proof so this would be the best route at the moment.

If you plan on going with an AM3 setup then make sure it will be AM3+ ready. I think there may be a few out already made by ASUS and Gigabyte that claim to be AM3+ ready but haven't seen any on newegg. Otherwise, you may be in the same boat in a year or so if you want to upgrade again.

However, buzznut's link is an inexpensive choice for something to get you by for now until you upgrade your CPU.
a b à CPUs
March 30, 2011 12:19:19 AM

What new components do you want to upgrade to? You could always add a card for USB3.0 or SATA 6Gb/s but at present there aren't too many peripherals that really demand these interfaces for top performance. There are no hard disks, or Optical drives that need them. And, even in SSDs, only the best & fastest SSD would need SATA 6Gb/s ....

a b à CPUs
March 30, 2011 12:45:22 AM

Maybe hes looking for a stronger NB or SB.If he used the same compents he has with a newer mobo he would see a improvment from that alone.
!