Sign in with
Your question

Good graphics cards?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2010 1:44:36 AM

Hello, I'm looking for a graphics card for Christmas, preferably one which can run games like Dead Rising 2 and Red Faction: Guerrilla. Currently, my computer is running this:
AMD Phenom II Quad Core Processor clocked at 3.1 GHz
BIOSTAR TA785G3 Motherboard with a AMD 0x9710 chipset using 512 MB of shared memory
4 GB (currently 3.5) of DDR3 RAM clocked at 1333 MHz (Patriot brand, in case it matters)

Please try and keep the price below $150, but I have a couple questions:
1. Would it be better to have one $150 video card or two cheaper ones with CrossfireX support?
2. When buying a card, what is the first thing I should look for? (Amount of RAM on card, speed of core clock, etc.)

More about : good graphics cards

a c 194 U Graphics card
November 5, 2010 2:00:31 AM

at the $150 range your best option is a single card like a 5770, two $75 cards will come out a lot weaker than a single 5770.

The first thing you should look at when buying a card is what GPU does it have it in, then go look at benchmarks, you cannot compare between two GPUs just based on the specs on the box, it just cant be done, but thats why there are reviews that do benchmarks on each card to give us an idea of real world relative performance.
a c 172 U Graphics card
November 5, 2010 2:04:37 AM

I suggest that you save for a little more or dig just a little deeper to widen your options unless that you have no choice then you might as settle with a 5770 (not the best thing out there and isn't the red hot wet nipple dream) but I would try to aim for a 6850 or a 460 if possible as they are more bang for buck.
Related resources
November 6, 2010 1:25:09 AM

Ahh. So, which Radeon 6850 or Nvidea 460 should I buy? (I'd prefer a cheaper, but still powerful one.) Would the chipset I have now work with CrossfireX and allow me to have two cards with 3.5 GB of RAM (the regular kind of RAM), or would I just have one card with four GB of RAM?
a c 172 U Graphics card
November 6, 2010 2:36:25 AM

You will gain back that 512mb lost to onboard graphics when you do get any choice of card but the 5770 isn't all that powerful and the 6850 as well the GTX460 offer much more bang for buck. The 768mb version is ok in your case due to cost and the 6850 offeres a lot of performance for the price compared to a 5770. AVOID the GTS450 as it is junk and underperforms compared to it's specs. I have learned a few tricks and a lot of lessons so either take my advice or live and learn as I have.
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2010 3:34:41 AM

demostrs said:
Ahh. So, which Radeon 6850 or Nvidea 460 should I buy? (I'd prefer a cheaper, but still powerful one.) Would the chipset I have now work with CrossfireX and allow me to have two cards with 3.5 GB of RAM (the regular kind of RAM), or would I just have one card with four GB of RAM?

There is something that you need to understand about graphics cards. A good graphics card (usually not the ones built into the motherboard) have their own ram on the card. This ram runs much, much faster than using the system's main ram (which built-in graphics usually do) because it is on the card and has such fast access to the data. A god graphics card will not take any of the main memory away from the system.
The Nvidia GTX 460 comes in a 1GB version and a 768MB version. The ram on the 1GB card is faster as well. Just get whichever is in your budget.
!