Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8Z68-V LX takes ~30 seconds at ASUS logo screen when External US

Last response: in Motherboards
December 4, 2011 5:44:28 AM

Title says it all basically. I have two USB 3.0 ports and when I plug an external HD or my phone charger into them I get the usual 2-3 seconds at Asus logo. If I plug them into any other port, takes ~30 seconds.
Asus P8Z68-V LX: Bios Version 0703 [2011.11.15 update]
i5-2500k
8GB Skill X-Series Ram (2x4GB)
120GB Intel 320 Series
Corsair 650W
December 6, 2011 4:29:03 AM

Anyone? Did I post this in the wrong place?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
December 6, 2011 11:06:07 AM

The system probably isn't configured to boot from the USB 3.0 ports. Can you disable booting from the USB 2.0 ports (assuming that the delay is caused because the system tries to boot from a USB device)?
Related resources
December 6, 2011 9:14:50 PM

GhislainG said:
The system probably isn't configured to boot from the USB 3.0 ports. Can you disable booting from the USB 2.0 ports (assuming that the delay is caused because the system tries to boot from a USB device)?

Thank you for your response. I'm a noob at this stuff, but I did find the boot options and disabled every boot option but my SSD and my CD/DVD Drive (currently it had a printer?? and 3 externals listed in the boot options).

My boot order is SSD > CD/DVD Drive.

Disabling all other boot options shaved the time down form 30s to about 20s, but still is a much larger value than when I don't have my 3 external HDDs plugged in.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
December 6, 2011 9:18:27 PM

Then that's how long it takes to detect them. Can't you use eSATA for faster detection?
December 6, 2011 9:22:45 PM

GhislainG said:
Then that's how long it takes to detect them. Can't you use eSATA for faster detection?

What do I do for that? Edit: are you referring to plugging them in through eSATA ports? They don't have that connection :p '

ACtually, I'm not even sure how to tell if my externals are IDE or SATA, I just plug them into USB port on back of case..
December 6, 2011 9:32:51 PM

GhislainG said:

This is sort of off on another tangent but I just realized I have my SSD plugged into a Sata3g and my CD/DVD into a Sata 6g, should I switch those?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
December 6, 2011 10:32:22 PM

Joesh said:
What do I do for that? Edit: are you referring to plugging them in through eSATA ports? They don't have that connection :p '

ACtually, I'm not even sure how to tell if my externals are IDE or SATA, I just plug them into USB port on back of case..

I meant eSATA instead of USB for the connection to the PC. Unles they're quite old, the drives should be SATA.

Edit: I checked your motherboard specs and it doesn't support eSATA.
!