Sign in with
Your question

Need help with upgrading my pretty old computer!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 5, 2010 2:58:52 AM

Hey guys, i'm new to t his forum and i wanted to ask...
My computer is pretty old and i want to upgrade the graphic card. So i spent like $100 on a gts 250 and i found out that my case wasn't big enough -_-. Soo, i don't wanna have the same problem again as that and my power supply are my biggest concerns. I have a GX620 mini tower with Pentium D 830 (3ghz), 2gb of RAM, a 305W power supply, and i currently have a Radeon x1550.

I just want to know what is the BEST possible graphic card i can get with these system specs. The case and power supply is giving me HUGE worries as i researched and found out that a lot of the newer cards are gigantic... Please help :) 

Thanks in advance!
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 5, 2010 3:02:34 AM

Is it a slim or like a normal rig? If normal then a 5670 or a GT240 would be fair choices knowing your limited psu and you power hog of a cpu. I had a 805 and it ruined one of my boards due to power draw.
m
l
November 5, 2010 3:05:12 AM

nforce4max said:
Is it a slim or like a normal rig? If normal then a 5670 or a GT240 would be fair choices knowing your limited psu and you power hog of a cpu. I had a 805 and it ruined one of my boards due to power draw.

It's a normal rig, a mini tower. So the best card you think i can get is a GT240? Cause i looked it up and it was pretty big :( 
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 5, 2010 3:09:15 AM

It is not that big and no bigger than my long gone 7600gs and that thing was short. Trust me it isn't any longer than your current card. It is not like that monster that I picked off eBay that was longer than a GTX295 and topped a 5970 when it comes to size. This card is small and shouldn't be any problem. You got height to your advantage which is better than those who bought those low profile systems.
m
l
November 5, 2010 3:29:56 AM

nforce4max said:
It is not that big and no bigger than my long gone 7600gs and that thing was short. Trust me it isn't any longer than your current card. It is not like that monster that I picked off eBay that was longer than a GTX295 and topped a 5970 when it comes to size. This card is small and shouldn't be any problem. You got height to your advantage which is better than those who bought those low profile systems.

Alright, thanks a BUNCH nforce, i'm looking around ebay and stuff for the GT240 now :D 
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
November 5, 2010 3:57:17 AM

An HD4670 or HD5570 would also be a good choices for that system. Newegg currently has 10% off all video cards with promo code EMCZZYR24 so you may want to use them.
m
l
!