New 3D Monitor or upgrade system?

poorplay

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008
I need your help... for the pasted two weeks I've been saving up for a 3D Monitor, nVidia 3D glasses and a 470 GTX. Now that I have the money I'm not sure if I wanna go for the 3D experience or upgrade my current rig. I'm running a Q9650 @ 3.6 with 8gig ram... I'm looking to upgrade to a i7-950 but I'll need to get a new mobo and ram. So what should I do or what would you guys do if you were in my shoes. Thanks!

I wouldn't bother upgrading. Well, maybe a video card depending on what you have now.

3D gaming causes increased eyestrain so it's suggested you take a break every now and then. It's kinda gimmicky in my opinion. The only recent 3D experience I've had was watching Avatar back in Dec '09. The 3D effect wore off on me after 15 - 30 minutes.

I would look at the new Sandy Bridge CPUs from Intel if you are interested in upgrading. There's a few threads with review links in the CPU forum.

njure

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Go for it! I was tired of gaming, bored :) The 3D-experience kicked it up a notch.

At first I had an 8800GTX but it couldn't handle the 3D-graphics that well. But then I thought I would go all-in and bought the following:

Three Samsung 2233rz monitors
Two GTX 470

And this crushed every game I threw at it. I can recommend the MSI GTX 470 for its marvellous overclocking software. If you are getting new graphics this is the one. In this software called "MSI Afterburner" you can have different profiles, that notices if you enter a 3D-application and then applies a certain profile. Or you can bind a profile to a Key-command like F6. I have a standard clock at desktop and a 30 PERCENT OC when I enter games. This card can be overclocked just beautifully!

I'm glad that you're thinking about joining the third dimension and I will supply you with a short list here of what games I think are really... well.. dazzling or just borderline amazing ;)

Call of Duty: MW2
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Mafia II
Left 4 Dead 2
Mount&Blade
Medal of Honor
Team Fortress 2
Well, there are lots of games that I've tried, there are several more that are beautiful in three dimensions, but this should be a start.

You are also saying that you think about upgrading your processor, I don't think that would prove very prudent though your processor is just fine. It wont be much of a bottleneck if you are just getting a GTX 470, if you're getting two, fine then you have a problem, but one should be perfectly fine.

Edit* Oh, and I wouldn't agree with the previous post. The eye-wear do not strain my eyes in any way. I can sit for hours on end.

njure

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010

Well, this is a good idea as well. If you are not sure, it is better to wait. If you are unsure that you will enjoy 3D-gaming, then you should stick with what you already know feels right.

You know what you have but you don't know what you'll get. Isn't that right? Yes, sometimes it is worth the risk, but alas it is your decision.

If you are one a budget, maybe it will benefit you to just upgrade your computer, that will give you much joy and cannot disappoint.

Although you shall not in any way forget about 3D gaming as forementioned. Let's face it, 3D gaming is just a foresight of what is to come. We all dream of living the game :)

There will come a time when everyone enjoys the commonplaced 3D world in their computer, and if you are happy now, you can always wait for that time.