Issues w/ new homebuilt rig - Please help!!!

inwood

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hi guys/gals,

I just finished assembling my brothers new rig but I ran into a major issue. When I power on the system all the fans/drives/hd are operational but when I plug my monitor to it, it keeps saying "check signal cable". The video card is connected to a 6 pin connector. I made sure that all the cables were connected, and I've also reseated the video card a few times. I know it's not the monitor because it works perfectly fine with my other rig. I also tried connecting my new rig to another monitor and get the same "check signal cable" message. I'm thinking it's an issue with the video card but I know it could be a multitude of other things. I'm hoping to find a resolution so I wont have to RMA the item. Here is a complete list of the major components of my setup:

Case: Antec 900
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA1156
CPU: i7 870 Socket 1156
Memory: G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-R685D5-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS
Monitor: SAMSUNG BX2331

Can someone please help me pinpoint the issue? I can't seem to figure out if it's an issue with the video card/motherboard/or stupidity by me!!

Thanks in advance.

Well, you're right this is a common issue and it doesn't mean its the video card. It could simply be not posting. A number of things can cause this but a few of them would be an issue with the ram, or some other error. (CPU incorrectly seated, Power supply, not using the second P4 power connector, etc.)

Do you have a system speaker? Do you have any beeps at startup? Have you checked other cables for connection? Have you tried to remove all but one stick of ram?

inwood

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Thanks for all the info. I just got back from out of town so I havent been able to test them out yet. I will try all of your suggestions and reply with the results.