Sign in with
Your question

Components for new build around Core i7-2600K (Sandy Bridge) ?

Tags:
  • Sandy Bridge
  • Intel i7
  • Components
Last response: in Components
March 30, 2011 8:56:18 AM

Hi there,

I have recenlty purchased an Intel i7 2600 (Sandybridge) CPU and I am very confused about what motherboard to buy for it! The reason Im confused is that this chip has graphics functions built onto the dye of the CPU! So Im wondering if I buy a board with SLI support and use two graphics cards will these by-pass the graphics capability on the CPU? Thinking of abit of gaming to :)  I hear alot mentioned about a discret graphics which I dont fully understand! is this just another way to describe an "add in" graphics card?

The main reason I am upgrading is because my current machine is taking forever to edit anything in Photoshop or Lightroom. The files Im processing are 24mb Canon 7D RAW files and I m looking for something that is much quicker and less painfull.

So Im also looking at upgrading to Windows 7 64bit and filling the board with 16GB or even 32GB of memory!

One last thought is about the PSU to buy is its wattage!! what determines this? is it the motherboard or the graphics cards or a combination of them all ? I've a 500 watt PSU that Ive just bought and am wondering if this would do the job?

Anyway much appreciate anyone who can shed any light on the subject...

Thanks for reading an any help.

B

More about : components build core 2600k sandy bridge

March 30, 2011 2:47:20 PM

OK. A couple of questions first.
1) budget!
2) do you game?

If you don't game and we're just talking photoshop and lightroom, you need to look at what graphics cards will accelerate your tasks, and just buy 1.

500Ws may be enough but it depends what grapihcs card you'll be getting.

Adding a discrete/add-in graphics card (you're quite right, they are the same thing) will disable on-board graphics in the vast majority of cases.
m
l
March 30, 2011 10:59:27 PM

Hey thanks for your reply,

My budget would be about $500.

Im not a big gamer, Ive an xbox an rarely use it and never really play games on the PC just the thought of having the option is nice but can do without especially if its going to suck up juice and make a hell of a noise!

m
l
Related resources
March 30, 2011 11:15:06 PM

The 500 watt PSU will probably not be enough for an SLI setup. It will be able to power a single high-end card however.

With the new sandy bridge CPUs and motherboards the second you plug in a discrete or add-on graphics card the chips graphical processing unit is disabled. Intel plans on introducing motherboard chipsets in the future where you can use both discrete and on-chip graphics at the same time. In any case the on chip graphics are much slower than even the least expensive discrete graphics solution.

The i7 2600k was made for the tasks you want to put it through. It excels in both productivity and gaming. I recommend getting a discrete graphics card. if you want to really see what the CPU can do.
m
l
March 30, 2011 11:33:29 PM

Ok did you buy an i7-2600K or an i7-2600?

BIOSTAR TH67+ (B3 stepping a must) - 104.99
CORSAIR Dominator 16GB (4 x 4GB) - 229.99
Galaxy 70XKH3HS3CUB GeForce GTX 470 - 209.99 w/ Rebate
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W - 89.99

Supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration
GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro 5000 (Windows)
Quadro 5000M (Windows)
Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
Quadro CX
m
l
March 31, 2011 8:00:44 PM

Quote:
those ain't tri channel sticks. Its two sticks check the link

A Gtx 470 would not be with any value with a fast cpu.
EVGA Soc Gtx 460 1gb version goes for 179 at newegg.
But the op mentioned something bout sli dunno if he got the cards already.
No need for Corsair Dominator and expensive ram. That sticks almost a 100usd more than the Gskill

Um.. yeah it is a tri channel memory it is 6, 2GB modules... that's tri-channel. Unless someone is making 3GB modules you will not have 12 GB dual channel memory.
m
l
March 31, 2011 8:07:43 PM

Sorry for the double post.. Couldn't edit above post!

Quote:
those ain't tri channel sticks. Its two sticks check the link

A Gtx 470 would not be with any value with a fast cpu.
EVGA Soc Gtx 460 1gb version goes for 179 at newegg.
But the op mentioned something bout sli dunno if he got the cards already.
No need for Corsair Dominator and expensive ram. That sticks almost a 100usd more than the Gskill

Um.. yeah it is a tri channel memory it is 6, 2GB modules... that's tri-channel. Unless someone is making 3GB modules you will not have 12 GB dual channel memory.

How would a 470 be of no use but a 460 is? I understand from a performance per watt the 460 is better. I was just going off the adobe list i found..

As far as the memory i just chose the only DDR3 1333 set that was 16GB. I would say just get 8GB. More selection and you could always go down to DDR3 1066
m
l
!