Using my 42 inch Toshiba for a display

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I am doing a build for me for my bedroom and am almost done.The only question I have is I am not going to use an LCD monitor.Instead,I am just going to use what is already there,a Toshiba 42inch <>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889253240.<><>Sort of like this 40inch model here.I am really only using the computer for WEB surfing and a little media.My question is should I buy a monitor for this build or will the TV be OK.Also which graphics card should I go with?I have $300. to spend on the graphics card.I want a card that is very quiet(NVIDIA GTS or GTX series).I saw a GTX # 470 (PNY recertified) for about $240<>.Or should I get a different card?

Solution
To answer your first question, the TV should be sufficient. At 1080P, you'll be hard-pressed to find a monitor with better resolution.

If you are not playing any games or doing any graphical development, don't spend anywhere near $240 on a GPU. In fact, if your motherboard has on-board video, that might be all you need (if not, or its insufficient or incompatible, you really don't need to spend more than $50).

What Video-inputs does your Toshiba have available? Component (that yellow-RCA plug), S-VIDEO, Composite (red, blue, green RCA-plugs), DVI, VGA/D-Sub (like old monitors), HDMI?

If your TV is close-enough to the one you linked, you have your option of VGA/D-Sub, HDMI (DVI-adapter), Composite, and Component. I would go the...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
To answer your first question, the TV should be sufficient. At 1080P, you'll be hard-pressed to find a monitor with better resolution.

If you are not playing any games or doing any graphical development, don't spend anywhere near $240 on a GPU. In fact, if your motherboard has on-board video, that might be all you need (if not, or its insufficient or incompatible, you really don't need to spend more than $50).

What Video-inputs does your Toshiba have available? Component (that yellow-RCA plug), S-VIDEO, Composite (red, blue, green RCA-plugs), DVI, VGA/D-Sub (like old monitors), HDMI?

If your TV is close-enough to the one you linked, you have your option of VGA/D-Sub, HDMI (DVI-adapter), Composite, and Component. I would go the HDMI route, either with a GPU that has an HDMI port, or using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter on any GPU with a DVI port (these's days, thats 99% of them).

If you want to use that D-Sub port, again, you just need a DVI-I or VGA output (DVI-I has analog and digital, so you can use a DVI-to-VGA adapter, and the stereo audio cable).

If you want to use the Composite or Component video inputs, you need a video -card that supports those outputs (and you'll need a cable that splits your stereo-output to Left-Right [red and white] audio cables). Many main-stream and value-cards come with these outputs.

Like I said before, do not spend more than $50 if you are only going to surf the web, play Farmville, and watch DVDs/Blurays. You could get away with basically any discrete GPU card available.

Solution

seanny

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

Thank you for the reply.You made the choice very easy,again thanks.Info was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS