smugmug vs pbase

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b G Storage
January 25, 2005 8:26:26 AM

I am looking at online photo storage for displaying it to
friends/relatives/NGs. The popular choice seems to be pbase. Someone
also recommended smugmug which offers unlimited storage and charges you
for the data transfer per month.

Which one do you prefer and why? Any pitfalls of going with smugmug?
Thanks,

Siddhartha

More about : smugmug pbase

Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 25, 2005 9:34:29 AM

I have smugmug. Your information is incorrect. It is $30/yr for
unlimited storage, no other charges unless you buy prints, etc. They
display pictures in original format. Been there for over a year and
love it. They just recieved an Editor's Choice award in PC Mag. I
have nothing negative to say about them, nor am I affiliated in any way
other then a satisfied customer.

-jtpr
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 25, 2005 9:41:14 AM

jtpryan wrote:
> I have smugmug. Your information is incorrect. It is $30/yr for
> unlimited storage, no other charges unless you buy prints, etc. They
> display pictures in original format. Been there for over a year and
> love it. They just recieved an Editor's Choice award in PC Mag. I
> have nothing negative to say about them, nor am I affiliated in any
way
> other then a satisfied customer.

http://www.smugmug.com/price/more-standard-features.mg
---snip----
You can plot charts of every album's traffic every month. And see how
many hits each individual photo gets.

Smugmug gives you 2 gigabytes/month of traffic, enough to make you very
popular. that's about 30,000 medium-sized (600-pixel) image
views/month. And if you need more? Upgrade to power user and get even
more popular.
---snip----

My guess is you never hit the 2GB limit. I guess after you hit the
limit they block access to your galleries and send out a mail to you
asking to either upgrade to the pro pack or wait for the month to get
over for the re-opening the gallery.

- Siddhartha
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 25, 2005 9:45:55 AM

jtpryan wrote:
> I have smugmug. Your information is incorrect. It is $30/yr for
> unlimited storage, no other charges unless you buy prints, etc. They
> display pictures in original format. Been there for over a year and
> love it. They just recieved an Editor's Choice award in PC Mag. I
> have nothing negative to say about them, nor am I affiliated in any
way
> other then a satisfied customer.

For eg. see these:
http://mudlake.smugmug.com/photos/14543071-O.jpg
http://mudlake.smugmug.com/photos/14314166-O.jpg
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 25, 2005 11:03:19 AM

"Siddhartha Jain" <losttoy2000@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Someone
> also recommended smugmug which offers unlimited storage and charges you
> for the data transfer per month.

Your phrasing is incorrect.

smugmug does not charge for the data transfer per month. Your annual fee
covers storage and a maximum amount of data transfer, which amount varies
with the user level. If you buy the standard account, you get a maximum of
2G transfer per month at no charge other than the annual fee. If you buy
the Power user account, you get up to 4G transfer. Pro accounts get
8G. There is no 'charge for the data transfer per month.'

smugmug estimages that 4G of data transfer is comparable to 60,000 views of
a 600-pixel image. I assume the mean by that one of the dimensions of an
image, not an image containing 600 pixels. :->