Video problems with new htpc build

leemarrett

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Hello,

Just finished building my new htpc - was going to get a p7h55-m pro but due to a mixup at the store I ended up with an h55m-d2h. As it's a cheap htpc build I decided I should just go with onboard video as all I'm going to be doing is watching live tv and streaming video off the network.

It's all set up now, and no real problems except when I run windows media center 7 - it tells me I have less than 64mb of video ram and that things might run poorly.

I did a system spec thing that win 7 does and it rated the video, and therefore the system, a 1.0 out of 7.9, the lowest score possible!

Advice on thus forum prior to purchasing all the bits was that thhe onboard video of this motherboard plus the i3-540 would be more than enough for an htpc...

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Solution
I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics drivers. Download the latest ones from the Gigabyte website. If that doesn't work, go into the BIOS and change the On-Chip frame buffer size from 64MB to 128MB.

I had the same problem with a recent build and I had a HD4550 in the system. Reinstalling the drivers fixed the problem.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the graphics drivers. Download the latest ones from the Gigabyte website. If that doesn't work, go into the BIOS and change the On-Chip frame buffer size from 64MB to 128MB.

I had the same problem with a recent build and I had a HD4550 in the system. Reinstalling the drivers fixed the problem.

Solution

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
yea, the driver listed on gigabytes website is pretty old so its pretty likely that the most current driver is on the cd that came with your motherboard. Give that a try and your problem should be solved.

leemarrett

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Well, that was certainly the problem! Installed the drivers that were on the motherboard and lo and behold things came right.

I don't know why but i had assumed that since we are now living in the future that driver discs are something i can completely ignore. Turns out not so much.

Thanks for the help Jedi!