Are temps in the 50s/60s (C) acceptable?

michael123

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Hi all, just a quick question.

I do not overclock my CPU, a Core i5 at 2.8GHZ, and it idles at around 29-34 centigrade.

However, I use BOINC to run research in the background, and that is configured to use two out of four cores. When Boinc is on, and I'm also doing some low-level computing (internet/word etc.) temperatures will generally range from 53 to 60 C on each core (according to RealTemp).

I probably run my computer for 30-40 hours each week. Will these temps decrease the lifespan of the CPU by much if they are fairly constant (i.e. if I run boinc most of the time)?

Also, on a totally unrelated note, I found an old case fan the other day (8cm) and was wondering where the best place to put it is. Currently I have two slots free: one is about level with the CPU, facing it, on the side of the case. The other is at the back of the case, also level with the CPU, about halfway up. Any advice on configuration? I was thinking maybe blowing in at the side?

Cheers, Michael.

oby20

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

29-34c at idle is low, and 53-60 in average load is a decent temps, usually 70 and up are the pretty hot temps, try limiting it to below 70c.
rear and side fans usually are for exhaust, because they level the processor and their job is to collect the processor fan's heat and throw it out of the case.
the front fans are for intake, to collect air and then rear and side are for exhaust.