Notebook with lighted KB for working in the dark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Which ones? I'd like a list if at all possible - TIA.

Ideally, prefer passive luminescent keycaps vesus an actively lighted
KB which draws limited power and would probably be too bright.

bobb <None@NoWhere.com> writes:
> Which ones? I'd like a list if at all possible - TIA.
>
> Ideally, prefer passive luminescent keycaps vesus an actively lighted
> KB which draws limited power and would probably be too bright.

Recent Thinkpads have a little LED at the top of the screen, that
shines down on the keyboard. It's quite nice. It doesn't draw much
power and it's not obtrusive. It's just enough light to let you see
the keys in the dark. You turn it on and off with a function key.

"bobb" <None@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
> Which ones? I'd like a list if at all possible - TIA.
>
> Ideally, prefer passive luminescent keycaps vesus an actively lighted
> KB which draws limited power and would probably be too bright.

I haven't seen any, but I use a small USB-powered clip light which solves
the problem on any laptop equipped with USB....

jak

red

Hey, where can one get this "clip-on" light???

RED

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:35:40 -0500, "red" <anglirich@lexcominc.net> wrote:

:>Hey, where can one get this "clip-on" light???
:>
:>RED

If you're in the US you can find them at CompUSA, Circuit City, Best Buy,
Fry's Electronics and other similar stores. I know both Kensington and
Belkin make them. Around $20.00 or so. I even bought one that is plugged
into a usb hub on the table next to the keyboard for my full size gaming
system. That way I can flip it on to light up only the keyboard when
getting in some late night gaming and don't have to turn on the room lights.
It's a bitch when you miss the WASD keys in the middle of an intense battle
or can't find the Pause key when you need to take a break. :)

me/2

:>
:>"jakdedert" <jdedert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
:>news:qn4Td.29192$Rl5.7183@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
:>>
:>> "bobb" <None@NoWhere.com> wrote in message
:>> news:pijp11d0j2tqg3pavjsb5ch2r58m8pvd9t@4ax.com...
:>>> Which ones? I'd like a list if at all possible - TIA.
:>>>

bobb wrote:
> Which ones? I'd like a list if at all possible - TIA.
>
> Ideally, prefer passive luminescent keycaps vesus an actively lighted
> KB which draws limited power and would probably be too bright.

All A, T and X series Thinkpads have a "Thinklight" LED mounted in the top
of the display that shines down on the keyboard. Very unobtrusive, very
little power drain and just enough light to see the keyboard as you work.

Regards,

James

True lighted keyboards are very expensive - around 200$/£ option
on a Panasonic Toughbook or such like, usually more rugged.

You can buy aftermarket keyboards which are backlit.

The LED lights work ok - more laptops could do with the feature,
laptop backlights tend to be weak or somewhat battery draining.

Keyboards could use the same technology watches do re safe
night time luminance - although not if stored in a bag in daylight.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo fans

Status