Status
Not open for further replies.

wonly

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Ive been working on a computer for my commander after he took it to bestbuy, they told him the motherboard was fried and quoted him for them to replace it. When he got the new motherboard they told him it wouldnt fit (they told him the motherboard to buy) After he got most of his components back from best buy (they didnt return power cord most screws and the cpu cooler) he asked me if i could fix it. After i got the computer i realized it didnt fit because of the case being btx and his mobo atx, all i did was just cut everything and put an old atx mobo tray in his computer and that problem was solved. Bestbuy also said that all the other components were fine, i put everything back together and he finally ordered a new power supply cord (hes using 1000w psu) I put the cord in yesterday during lunch and nothing happened. No fans moved no lights came on etc so at this point im stuck since im not really sure where to go from here and ive never had a problem like this i couldnt solve.

Thanks for the help

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
First make sure all the cables from case are plugged into motherboard. These cables are the reset, power (most important), hdd, speakers.

Take everything out the case. Put motherboard on a non-conductive surface. Mount CPU, heatsink, memory,video card. Plug all the power connectors. Turn power supply on, and with a pen connect the 2 pins for power jumper on the motherboard. See if the computer post and there is something on display. If no post, then there are only 3 possibilities: bad CPU, bad motherboard (most likely) or bad memory.

wonly

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Thats the next thing i was going to try, ive been thinking about it all day of what to do next. I think ill grab a multi meter and test to see if the 24 pin connector is putting out any juice... Do you really think the motherboard would be bad since its brand new? i never tested anything on it suppose it could have been DOA never thought about it being bad i guess.

EDIT: Also never having delt with a BTX board/psu i noticed theres an extra 6 pin (i believe a P14 connector) that was plugged into the BTX motherboard (im assuming) just wondering if that has anything to do with it

I assume you connected the front header to the motherboard so when you press the power button it turns on?

To test the PSU disconnect it from the system and use a paper clip to connect the green wire to any black wire on the 24 pin connector, if the PSU fan starts spinning than your PSU works, it may be either a bad MOBO or not all the connections are in.

wonly

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Thanks for all the answers ill try them out tonight when i go home hopefully one of them will work, ill also check the form factor after googling the psu it says that they are ATX which would be weird for dell to put it with a btx motherboard...

wonly

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

I tried this but couldnt find a paperclip... had to use a staple, the fans dont turn on it makes a clicking noise but thats it. I also found that there is 1 light which i didnt see before on the motherboard that is lit up when the 24pin is plugged in.

The clicking noise is also the same one that is made when i push the power button, theres no 110/220v selector on this psu and there isnt a switch to turn it on or off.

After looking up the exact model it is an ATX psu for sure so that shouldnt be an issue unless dell has some sort of thing that the psu only works with their components.

This computer and the one im working on have the exact same processor and similar ram so im thinking i may end up swapping those out next.

Thanks for the help so far anything else you guys can think of would be helpful

wonly

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
let me read this from the beginning.
brb.

Well hopefully you can help since you have a dell cert and it is a dell computer (or was) going to try swapping out all my parts onto his mobo and see what goes wrong and switch back to his until i find the culprit, will still be checking back here frequently since im not doing until this weekend

So you're trying to use the 1000w Dell psu from an XPS 720 on a standard ATX board ?
That won't work without some modifications, the Dell psu from the early 7xx's doesn't have the normal 4 or 8 pin cpu power connector, instead it has a 20 pin connector along with the 24 pin EATX.

wonly

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
this one has the standard 24pin power connector and the and the 4pin cpu connector, it seems he bought it right before they stopped making them so he kinda got shafted and saved at the same time since he got better psu but cant get any replacement parts

therightstuff

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
As a former owner of both XPS 710 and XPS 720. I can tell you you are waisting your time. The XSP 710 and 720 are both Dell proprietary. The only MB that will work (with out going to extremes with a major case/wire and I/O modification). Dell told me they no longer have the MBs. I have seen them on Ebay.

wonly

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
I already did the case mod to it wasnt that hard, i swapped all my parts into his and his into mine, mine still worked after removing 1 of his sticks (he had 1 bad stick) his still didnt boot up so im assuming its the mobo and hes going to have to rma it

therightstuff

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

Thats good. How did you get the back of the case configured ( the I/O area.. You should post some pics and the MB you used. There would be many people thankful for that info.

wonly

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
I just kind of eyed the places id have to cut, used a dremel and an old motherboard tray i had laying around from my last case which actually fit quite nicely in there not too bad for my first case mod. then any motherboard will fit in there now with this tray.

Status
Not open for further replies.