What if a manufacturer does not list my mobo chipset?

yonyz

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I've been looking into some DDR3 modules and they all seem to not have my P35 mobo chipest listen on the manufacturer's product page. Example.

Does that mean it won't work? And do I care if Dual Channel is listed or not? Does it matter if I buy 2x4GB modules separately or as part of an 8GB set?

Solution
You wrote "I have already installed 8GBs of 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM on the mobo, and it detected both 4GB sticks and so did Windows, but those were my brother's sticks, I used them to test how more RAM affects BF3 performance." Since you already tested 8 GB of DDR3 memory and it worked, why are you worried? Just buy a set of modules that are compatible (or that you know will work) and be done with it. Bear in mind that you can't install both DDR2 and DDR3 memory modules at the same time - doing so would damage the motherboard (and probably the DDR3 memory).

yonyz

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
It's a GIGABYE GA-P35C-DS3R. It's the combo type, so it has 2 DDR3 slots in addition to 4 DDR2 slots. I have already installed 8GBs of 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM on the mobo, and it detected both 4GB sticks and so did Windows, but those were my brother's sticks, I used them to test how more RAM affects BF3 performance.

You wrote "I have already installed 8GBs of 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM on the mobo, and it detected both 4GB sticks and so did Windows, but those were my brother's sticks, I used them to test how more RAM affects BF3 performance." Since you already tested 8 GB of DDR3 memory and it worked, why are you worried? Just buy a set of modules that are compatible (or that you know will work) and be done with it. Bear in mind that you can't install both DDR2 and DDR3 memory modules at the same time - doing so would damage the motherboard (and probably the DDR3 memory).

Solution