Dell XPS not turning on

fly777

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Hi,

I've got a Dell XPS M1530 which I've had for about 3 years, anyway, the past couple of weeks, I've noticed when I've woken up on a few occasions that despite having either shut it down or put it on hibernate before going to sleep, the laptop fan is going like mad, all the power lights and charging lights are on, but when I tried pressing a key to turn the screen on or tried moving the mouse, nothing happened. If I pressed and held the power on/off button until it all went off and then pressed it again to turn it back on again, it has been fine, until yesterday, when the same thing happened...the fan was going like mad and the lights on, but nothing happens when pressing keys or moving the mouse but this time after turning it off, it made the right noises when I turned it back on again, except the screen stayed blank and the normal wifi/bluetooth and num lock lights don't come on either. Anyone have any ideas?? I suspect its a motherboard issue but if anyone else who has experienced the same thing has any info, I'd be grateful for hearing from you.
Should probably also mentioned I've also tried plugging it into another monitor and tv one morning when I woke up to the fan going mad, but both said there was no input and the pc monitor just went back to standby!
Thanks.

G

Dell's are notorious for reving up the fans when memory is not detected. Pull the memory stick, clean the gold fingers with pencil eraser on both side and re-seat. If that doesn't work try 1 stick at a time and replace bad stick if neccessary.

Good luck

fly777

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks. Managed to fix it using someones reply on a different forum. Turns out overheating the gpu connection to the motherboard solves the issue!! So happy I didn't have to fork out for a new motherboard or laptop, a simple 10 minute run with the heat strip loosened and the computer running, heats the solder up enough to remake the connection, computer automatically turned off, re-screwed the heat strip back in and I'm back up and running!! :bounce: