LordMontezuma

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm trying to set up my Samsung 24" HDTV as the main display for my desktop. I have two GTX 295's SLI'd, neither of which has an HDMI port, so I'm using a DVI->HDMI cable to make the connection. When I plug in the DVI end of the cable (with the computer on, and HDMI end already plugged into the TV) my display refreshes and I get my desktop background but no icons or visible mouse cursor. Restarting the computer shows all the normal post screens on the HDTV up until "Starting Windows," (Running Windows 7 64-bit) and then it goes completely black. If I keep my old display plugged in before attaching the HDTV, the exact same things happen on both displays. I've just installed nVidia's 260.99 drivers and still get the same problem. Oh and I know the cable is good because it works to connect my laptop to the exact same TV. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Brandon

Sava

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I've had issues with my GTX 275. I used to be able to use the dual monitor capability with my two Samsung monitors, one is a 25 inch, one a 21 inch. My video card has HDMI, DVI, and VGA outputs. For whatever reason, I could never connect the monitors directly to the card using straight connections (DVI to DVI, HDMI to HDMI). I had to use HDMI to DVI converters in different combinations to get the dual monitors to work properly. Then one day, I was unable to use two monitors at all. But each individual connection still works properly.

I am was considering buying two graphics cards in order to gain performance and also regain the ability to use both my monitors. But apparently it seems as if having two cards does not guarantee I'll be able to use both my monitors. :(

LordMontezuma

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
The TV is being detected as a second monitor.

You need to get into the driver and set it as the primary display. Easiest if you connect both your screens.

I actually can't set the TV as the primary display, because whenever it is plugged in I lose all mouse and keyboard function (from a display perspective - I assume they still work I just can't see what they're doing) and have a completely blank desktop on both screens at the same time.