Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to configure 2 sets of dual channel memory? (Gigabyte mobo)

Tags:
  • Memory
  • DDR3
  • Dual Channel
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
December 4, 2011 9:11:35 PM

Pretty simple question, just I'm a bit confused.

I'm installing two sets of dual channel memory (G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL) into my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3). In the instruction manual that came with the mobo the physical layout is:

Quote:
DDR3_4, DDR3_2 || DDR3_3, DDR3_1

And the channels, similarly, are billed as:

Quote:
Channel A: DDR3_2, DDR3_4
Channel B: DDR3_1, DDR3_3

BUT if a user is installing dual channel memory it suggests installing the pair into either: 3_2/3_1 (or 3_4/3_3).

My question is, which sets of slots should I use for each pair I have? Do I install them one pair per channel (one set to Channel A and one set to Channel B)? Or do I install pairs across channels (each as an AB channel setup — one set to 3_2/3_1 and one set to 3_4/3_3)?

More about : configure sets dual channel memory gigabyte mobo

a c 128 } Memory
December 4, 2011 10:33:16 PM

I would just run the matched pairs in each set of slots that are next to each other. They are separated by a wider space. Gigabyte should have made them color coded, but I guess it didn't match the rest of the board's color scheme.
m
l
December 4, 2011 11:15:05 PM

If the i/o bracket is the back of the board and the ATX connector is the front then the order from back to front on your ram slots is

3-4
3-2
3-3
3-1

k114 has the answer you're looking for I think.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
December 4, 2011 11:16:48 PM

Well you have 4 identical sticks so actually it doesn't matter in your case.

But the manual is saying 1+2 is one pair and 3+4 is the other pair. To utilize both channels ie dual channel you want a stick in both channels; A and B. Channel A is 2+4 and channel B is 1+3. Weird numbering system gigabyte has going on usually its 1-2-3-4. But it's the same as the other z68 mobos that are color coated. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... One pair in the white slots, the other pair in the blue slots.
December 6, 2011 10:21:31 PM

k1114 said:
To utilize both channels ie dual channel you want a stick in both channels; A and B.

Ah! That makes so much sense. ::facepalm:: And the colored mobo was also really helpful. Thanks so much!

Also, I have to say your Hobbes avatar really accentuates the advice you give.
m
l
December 6, 2011 10:21:40 PM

Best answer selected by BobToe.
m
l
!