Sign in with
Your question

Recommend SATA card for Asus P6X58D?

Last response: in Components
March 30, 2011 8:04:12 PM

Can anyone recommend a good expansion card (preferably with SATA III) for the P6X58D motherboard? I had heard about the Asus U3S6 card, but can't seem to find one store that has it in stock. (Has it been discontinued?)

Thanks for the help.

Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2011 2:47:36 AM

What, I don't get how that was relevant. Was it?
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2011 4:50:04 PM

Well, I was saying I don't get how your last post was relevant.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2011 6:18:10 PM

yes it looks like the U3S6 card was discontinued although the Asus web page does not state that.

There are several "low" cost cards that support only SATA III, or USB 3 but not both at newegg - But none of the SATA III have a real good rating, so a gamble.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Stinks - But a fact of life
MSI was suppose to have one also, but could not find. Both company's also sell MB and these cards decrease the need to Upgrade the MB although at double the price you can buy one for sata 6 and one for Usb3, but that doubles the cost and requires 2 slots.
March 31, 2011 8:51:50 PM

Quote:
Well I explained why it cost so much. But the op haven't stated the budget and the usage for it

Thanks for your posts, Dadiggle. As HostileDonut said: "Wow... Those cost a lot!" :D 

When I did my preliminary search on NewEgg, I was surprised to see add-on cards costing over $500! This was after I saw ones by Asus and other name-brands for $30-50.

I am only looking for extra SATA ports to connect my storage drives. That's pretty much it. No extreme gaming, clocking, or nuclear fusion-type activities ;) 
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2011 8:54:16 PM

peanutty said:
Thanks for your posts, Dadiggle. As HostileDonut said: "Wow... Those cost a lot!" :D 

When I did my preliminary search on NewEgg, I was surprised to see add-on cards costing over $500! This was after I saw ones by Asus and other name-brands for $30-50.

I am only looking for extra SATA ports to connect my storage drives. That's pretty much it. No extreme gaming, clocking, or nuclear fusion-type activities ;) 

Awwww, I was really hoping for some nukes to come out of that HDD array you got there... Well, you bashed my hopes... ;)  :p 
March 31, 2011 9:07:46 PM

RetiredChief said:
yes it looks like the U3S6 card was discontinued although the Asus web page does not state that.

There are several "low" cost cards that support only SATA III, or USB 3 but not both at newegg - But none of the SATA III have a real good rating, so a gamble.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Stinks - But a fact of life
MSI was suppose to have one also, but could not find. Both company's also sell MB and these cards decrease the need to Upgrade the MB although at double the price you can buy one for sata 6 and one for Usb3, but that doubles the cost and requires 2 slots.

RetiredChief, thanks for the reply!

I'm afraid that your conclusion of there not being any *great* SATA III add-on cards was what I had come up with -- hence, my finally asking for help here. I don't really need any more USB3... just SATA for my extra drives. I found out about U3S6 after googling, but even that one didn't have the greatest rating. I just liked it because it would match my ASUS mb.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope someone here can recommend a card from personal experience...
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2011 9:40:28 PM

peanutty said:
RetiredChief, thanks for the reply!

I'm afraid that your conclusion of there not being any *great* SATA III add-on cards was what I had come up with -- hence, my finally asking for help here. I don't really need any more USB3... just SATA for my extra drives. I found out about U3S6 after googling, but even that one didn't have the greatest rating. I just liked it because it would match my ASUS mb.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope someone here can recommend a card from personal experience...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-U3S6-PCLE-X4-BRIDGE-USB-3-0-SA... Bid $50 you could probably get it. ;) 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 31, 2011 9:53:48 PM

Yea I bought the U3S6 awhile back, Works fine. Just a commnet, If you are only using it for mechanical HDD and not a SATA III SSD then Sata II is fine. HDDs sold as SATA III are a marketing tool mostly. The ONLY benifit is in burst speed when attached to SATA III.
Yes, I wasted money and bought a WD Sata III 1 TB drive and connected it to my U3S6 card. Might use the card for a SATA III SSD, but dought it.

REASON I mention this is that you may find a decent SATA II pcie card.
!