Issue with Sapphire 5850 / Samsung Syncmaster 305T

ae86trueno

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Hi all, I'm new to this forum.

about 4 days ago I started to get this issue. the screen with white color sometimes flicker.
At first I thought my LCD screen goes bad, but then I notice it only showing up on white color only (or at least that is where I can notice it) even when typing this message the white canvas part is flickering. The flicker is like old crt monitor with lower Hz.

After searching then it lead me to think it might be my graphic card that causing this.
I use Sapphire 5850 1GB DDR5, I bought my monitor in 2008 and my graphic card early this year so I guess they still quite new. Since March until 4 days ago I never had any flicker issue but then it just suddenly happen .

I was running 10.6 driver since I build this system on March, then after 4 days ago when issue start happening I tried to install the latest driver 10.10 but it does not fix the issue

So far from searching internet, I have tried reseating my graphic card, unplug and plug back all the cable. totally shut down PC and took the power cable off. try to run game to Get the graphic card running at its max 725 gpu and 1000mhz gpu ram. the issue intermittent and when I did run the game, the screen was okay for few hours (though I cannot confirm if it because the graphic running at max or just so happen it was okay that time).
I dont have any spare graphic card to test out or any other computer that able to run this monitor to test.

I also have tried to do fresh install of Windows on spare disk, flicker still happening on the white color. This happen to all white, blank html page, notepad, photoshop, text box area etc.

Any suggestion what else can I test? Thank you for the help.

My system Spec:
Processor : Intel i7 920 1366 Bloomfield
motherboard: Asus P6T
Cooling : CoolerMaster V6GT
Memory : 6GB G.Skill F3-12800CL8 DDR3
Video Card : Sapphire ATI HD5850 1GB DDR5
LCD Monitor : Samsung SyncMaster 305T Plus
Power Supply : Corsair HX850W

I've just had my Samsung SyncMaster 305T Plus repaired under warranty about a month and a half ago because it developed two faint green vertical stripes each about 2 inches wide in the middle of the screen. I purchased mine back in January of 2009.

The reliability record of the 305T Plus isn't good.

I've read about other owners of the 305T Plus having the flickering problem you describe but it hasn't happened to me yet.

ae86trueno

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Mayanksinghsolanki :
Thank you for the reply. can you please let me know how you determine this is with the monitor? I have another very old system. I did try swap monitor. I try the LG Flatron L246WHX to this computer. Unfortunately this monitor does not have DVI port (it has component, vga, hdmi) so I connect using hdmi. So far it show good working fine. I'm not expert on all these hardware, the issue I had was samsung 305T connected with sapphire 5850 through DVI cable, will this test with hdmi cable thus different port is good enough to point the issue is on the monitor and not on the graphic card? Thank you.

Ko888:
Thank you for the reply. I bought mine on October 2008. I guess its out of warranty but I should be able to try get the shop do something about it under consumer guarantee act.
This monitor actually giving me quite alot of trouble. one reason I build new system also because old system cannot run this monitor at all (not even in lower resolution). By the way do you mind to give me the link to other users that having same problem with me? Thank you.

EDIT:
I managed to bring my monitor to friend's place. his spec pretty much same with me with difference is graphic card is nvidia 8800gt. the issue showing up on his computer as well. so issue is with monitor. Thanks again Mayanksinghsolanki and Ko888 for the advise

carlsojl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I am having similar problems. The problem is the monitor, not your video card, not your DVI cable, not your power cable, not anything other than the monitor. You can do a Google search on :samsung 305t flicker" and read for a lifetime the problems others are having, and have had since 2007, maybe even earlier.

In my case, the problem is intermittent. Sometimes the monitor flickers, then it works properly for a few hours or days. Then it starts happening again, this time in a different part of the screen-sometimes only a 3 inch deep band across the entire width of the screen; other times all but about 4 inches of upper left corner of the screen; other times only within a small window within the desktop.

I will be attempting to find a local service center for repair information. Due to the cost, I will use it until I go blind.

ae86trueno

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010

Thank you Carlsojl for the reply.
Yes I've sent my monitor to local Samsung repair center here. Yes the first time I notice my problem similar to yours. it does not flicker the whole screen but some part, then sometimes other parts then sometimes it work fine. then the whole screen.
I notice the white color is more apparent on the flicker.

carlsojl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010

I would appreciate a reply rom you when you finish your repairs.
I contacted Samsung today via live chat and got no help at all.
The person I "spoke" to knew nothing about a flickering problem.
I sent that person a url of a forum which discusses the problem in detail, asking that a supervisor be notified and I receive a response.
I am not holding my breath.